2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Accepting orders for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: *Stratified American Ginseng Seeds*

*Stratified American Ginseng Seeds* 13 years 1 month ago #9750

• UofLCardinal27
  • UofLCardinal27's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Alright, if you can buy 900 stratified ginseng seeds for $30, and they have a 75% germination rate, why wouldn't everybody in the world do this and get rich? Can someone please explain this? :huh:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:*Stratified American Ginseng Seeds* 13 years 1 month ago #9751

UofLCardinal27

There is alot to know about growing ginseng in the woods.

There are about 7000 seeds in one pound of seeds. Out of those 7000 seeds, only about 2000 will make it to harvest time in 7-10 years. Some will not sprout. some seeds will be eaten by mice and slugs. Some plants will just die off. From disease and other causes.

If it was too easy, everyone would be doing it.

I've been growing seng for seven years this season. Its had it's ups and downs, but overall it's the greatest hobby I have.

You must do research if your not familiar with seng.

classicfur

Re:*Stratified American Ginseng Seeds* 13 years 1 month ago #9752

I would only add: \"If it was easy, it wouldn't be fun!!!\"

Re:*Stratified American Ginseng Seeds* 13 years 1 month ago #9755

A mighty big 'if' there.

If 75% of my wild sown seed even made it to year 2, I'd be delirious.

Last year, my first year, I put out a pound of seeds. Got maybe 500-700 plants out of that. Was hammered by the drought of last summer, maybe half of those came back up this spring. Learned a lot of lessons on how and where to plant the seeds.

I learned even more lessons from last fall's planting and seeing what came up this spring. And I'll go on learning. It's a real challenge.

Keep in mind that sang won't grow anywhere, very picky about it's environment. You can't plant seeds in your back yard this spring and start raking in buckets of money the next fall. A lot can happen to a fairly delicate plant in the five to seven years it takes to mature, and if the plants look cultivated, they won't sell for a lot.

If it was easy, everyone would do it and the price would be lower. I got into sang as an experiment, and stay with it for the challenge.

Re:*Stratified American Ginseng Seeds* 13 years 1 month ago #9768

• UofLCardinal27
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
So, is it worth my time to spend $30 on 900 seeds this fall and plant them on my hillsides in my backyard? And also, out of the 900, how many of them you think would germinate to 7-9 years old?

Re:*Stratified American Ginseng Seeds* 13 years 1 month ago #9769

UofL,

\"IF\" you are planting in good locations for seng to grow and you plant them properly - you could see 25-40% of them make it to harvest time.

In Scott Persons book he mentions planting 4-5 seeds per sq ft and expecting to have 1-2 mature plants per sq ft at harvest time.

Ginseng will not grow just anywhere - you have to get the location right.

The more south you are (KY-TN-AL) the more you need to focus on North or North-East facing hillsides. The more North you go that becomes less important to not important at all.

If you have land that has ginseng growing on it already and doing well then plant your seed in those same areas. Just don't get it too thick or you could have disease problems.

Spend that 30.00 on seed this fall and give it a try.

You could sure do a lot worse with 30.00.

I planted nearly 4 pounds of seed this fall/winter.

Below is a pic of one of my beds this spring.

Good Luck !

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:*Stratified American Ginseng Seeds* 13 years 1 month ago #9771

• UofLCardinal27
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I'll do that, and I already have a spot of Ginseng on my hill, it has about 10 plants all together in it. I guess one plant dropped the berries and they all landed there. I'll buy some seeds and plant it on that hill, thanks for the info. TN Hunter, will you check your emaill :D

Re:*Stratified American Ginseng Seeds* 13 years 1 month ago #9782

johno

I agree with all you've said.

It's a challenge to be successfull at growing seng.

My first two years were not very good. Mostly all my fault in the way I planted them. I planted over five pounds and ended up with about 25% germination. I do have about 3000 six and seven yr old plants combined that have survived. But I learned lessons and I continued on.

There are too many variables. Drought, disease, poorly stratified seeds, mulch too thick, etc.

When I started out seven years ago, my thought was to make some big cash. As time has passed, I have relized that growing seng is the most enjoyable hobby I have. And yes there will be that grand day when I harvest my first crop. It's not so much the for the money any more. And you must stick with it for atleast seven years.

I think there is more chance of failure than people want to admit.

Your right. If it was too easy every one would be doing it.

Hang in there!

classicfur

Re:*Stratified American Ginseng Seeds* 13 years 1 month ago #9800

Don't know were ya came up with that price for seed but for six bucks and a self addressed envolope I sell 200 wild sim seeds.
BSMGinseng.com

guy

Re:*Stratified American Ginseng Seeds* 13 years 1 month ago #9802

Guy,

I think he got that price here on wildgrown.

They do offer a 2 oz package, approx 900 seeds for 29.95.

TNhunter

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds

Who's Online

We have 219 guests and no members online

Login