2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2013 WV Hunting Seasons coming in Early

2013 WV Hunting Seasons coming in Early 10 years 7 months ago #24317

The WV squirrel and early Bear with hound and Deer archery season all will hit this Sept. Never has so many hunting seasons opened so early and it will have to effect the dig in WV . We have had a great growing season that will probably go to waste . Not too many ginsengers want shot while digging..and with all the green leaves still on..And even so..do you hunt? Or do you dig ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:2013 WV Hunting Seasons coming in Early 10 years 7 months ago #24319

For this reason I will be pushing the market some again here !

Re:2013 WV Hunting Seasons coming in Early 10 years 7 months ago #24324

Strong Prong wrote:

The WV squirrel and early Bear with hound and Deer archery season all will hit this Sept. Never has so many hunting seasons opened so early and it will have to effect the dig in WV . We have had a great growing season that will probably go to waste . Not too many ginsengers want shot while digging..and with all the green leaves still on..And even so..do you hunt? Or do you dig ?

Just hit the woods before anyone else, wear blaze orange and you should be okay!

Frank

Re:2013 WV Hunting Seasons coming in Early 10 years 7 months ago #24328

Dont forget ur rifle bow or muzzleloader depending on the season I had a nicr 8 pt walk within ten ft of me one time diggin all I could was wish it was hunting season

Re:2013 WV Hunting Seasons coming in Early 10 years 7 months ago #24333

Don't let the hunting seasons keep you out of the woods because the risk is slight and really only towards squirrel season and kids or inexperienced hunters.
My bigger point was that most ginsengers are hunters too. With the hunting season openings earlier will that mean that the diggers spend less days digging and more days sitting in a tree waiting on that buck.
If the diggers do hunt more that should mean a short crop and setting up a nice market. But as a dealer I know that anything can happen in a market that can make a prediction turn you into a hero or villain.
WV doesn't make or break the market either but this is just something to think about whether you are a dealer or digger when deciding on a price to pay or sell.

Re:2013 WV Hunting Seasons coming in Early 10 years 7 months ago #24339

I understand ur conserns as soon as hunting season starts here in NY my diggin days r over but most if the time the shang is already dead

Re:2013 WV Hunting Seasons coming in Early 10 years 7 months ago #24340

Hobler666shang wrote:

I understand ur conserns as soon as hunting season starts here in NY my diggin days r over but most if the time the shang is already dead

Same here Hobbler. I usually quit when the steelhead start coming into the salmon river. I usually put my digger down and pick up the fly rod!

Re:2013 WV Hunting Seasons coming in Early 10 years 7 months ago #24361

That's what I mean by opening the hunting seasons so early..and they are as much as three weeks earlier as past years.
They played around with this last year but got serious about it this year.

Re:2013 WV Hunting Seasons coming in Early 10 years 7 months ago #24386

A Pennsylvania dealer friend of mine has a buying station just south of the NY state line.
He told me that the dealers who bought dry ginseng right after the Labor Day holiday got a sting ran on them this year. Does NY have a Sept. 15 dry buying date like some states ?
I wasn't sure if it was ran on the Pennsylvania side or NY side.

Re:2013 WV Hunting Seasons coming in Early 10 years 7 months ago #24654

Strong Prong wrote:

A Pennsylvania dealer friend of mine has a buying station just south of the NY state line.
He told me that the dealers who bought dry ginseng right after the Labor Day holiday got a sting ran on them this year. Does NY have a Sept. 15 dry buying date like some states ?
I wasn't sure if it was ran on the Pennsylvania side or NY side.[/quote strong prong yes ny dry date is sept 15. i have sold to a guy who goes by the name of Rags from cherokee fur, is this the dealer? i always liked him we always hung around for an hour just telling ginseng stories,

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds

Who's Online

We have 455 guests and no members online

Login