2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Selling ginseng

Selling ginseng 10 years 7 months ago #24661

Hey guys new to the forum I've Hurd ppl saying u can separate ur roots and sell ur better roots for more money I've been digging about four years usually dig average plants big three's and four prongs this year happend to get on a hill side with extremely big four prongs some plants had seven leaves per stem roots weighing up to 1 oz and a lil better so my ? Is should u sell roots of this quality just as u would average plants I dug 35 plants weighing out to be a 16.2 ounces wet that day I dug these thanks for the help guys

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Selling ginseng 10 years 7 months ago #24676

You can. Normally topping your lot will make you less money because you need your stronger stuff to carry your weaker stuff.

Re:Selling ginseng 10 years 7 months ago #24679

Yea that's what I kinda figured just figured I'd make sure before I just stuck them in with the rest of the roots all the other guys I know that dig said they had only found a few plants close to that size the plants there selves stood lil over two and half feet tall was like small trees lol thanks for the help man

Re:Selling ginseng 10 years 7 months ago #24683

BCastle is right, you want to keep your bigger and smaller roots together, otherwise you will get normal price for the big roots and find it harder to sell the smaller ones.

Only time I would separate is if I had a man root, or a few man roots. Those alone, if very distinctive, can fetch a good price by themselves.

If in doubt, you can always ask your buying all these questions. Each dealer is different and may prefer different type, size, age, etc roots so it is always good to sit down and talk with your buyer to find out exactly what they want and expect. Just taking a bag of ginseng to a local dealer and taking what they offer and walking away is never a good idea. Take the time to sit and talk to them. The man I deal with I call him at least once a week to check on prices, and he will talk for an hour if I let him. He has also gave me some very good advice for the season as well.

Re:Selling ginseng 10 years 7 months ago #24685

See that's what I was wondering I knew the man root was valued a lil more then your average root and I wasn't gunna separate all my big roots I just had about ten that are exceptional big roots from the rest I didn't know if roots that big fetched more money or not how much more does a man root usual fetch vs. your average root my dealer I've delt with just pretty much buys it by the pound from what I see nothing else fetches better money but I thought she paid pretty good I seen a lot of ppl posting there dealer was buy it green from 110 to 130 when I called her the other day she said she was buying green for 170 pound it was to early to price dry seng had to wait till sept 15

Re:Selling ginseng 10 years 7 months ago #24687

Another question I had was about replanting the berries I've seen everybody said about an inch deep but I've been told to loosely cover the seeds back up with the dirt and leaves but I also seen where one guy said he didn't pat his bed in good and the seed didn't get enough seed to soil contact and his seeds had only sprouted where he had walked thru his seed bed the next year

Re:Selling ginseng 10 years 7 months ago #24701

TN.Ginsenger...

I plant red berries around 3/4 inch deep.

I just take my seng digger (hoe) and make a shallow trench and drop them in about 6\" apart, then cover with some soil (mostly that nice composted leaf litter) and then some leaves and I pat them down to compress it some.

I have followed up on them and they have done well. Very good germination that way.

When I go back to that location 4-5 years later and see a string of little ones growing in a line - I know I'v been there before.

On separating out the big roots - I don't do that myself. I sell them all together.

I do pick thru my lot and take out a few roots to keep and eat myself, but I select smaller roots that have 20+ years age, and a lot of those fine/hair roots on them to keep. That is my choice eat root.

PS - I am in southern middle TN myself.

TNhunter

Re:Selling ginseng 10 years 7 months ago #24702

Yea i've pretty much been planting my berries like that and on separating the roots I just figured i'd make sure I couldn't be getting more money for my roots then what I already was appreciate all the help and I'm about 50 miles west of nashville

Re:Selling ginseng 10 years 7 months ago #24716

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
TN.Ginsenger

The guys advised you right a total lot needs to have good ginseng in it or it will cause the lot to be very bad and not worth much at all.

I am a dealer in the States of KY TN and VA and I buy a lot of wild ginseng I will defiantly pay better for a good mix than a bad one. If you had 5 pounds of ginseng dry and 1 1/2 pounds where the best roots and you separated them and sold them for $800.00 a pound. Then you took the 3 1/2 pounds of small and unvaluable root to sell them you would be lucky to get $500.00 a pound and maybe less for them, but if you did then 3 1/2 would be worth $1,750 and the 1 1/2 was worth $1,200:00 so your total would be $2,950:oo

Now if you sold the Lot together for $650.00 a pound then your total would be $3,250:oo so by selling the lot together you make $300.oo more and do not have the head ache of moving the bad root after the good was gone.

And trust me if any dealer any where offers you $800.00 a pound for all your good root, then you can get $650.00 or better for the good lot together and I buy thousands of pounds of ginseng so I do not care how any one try's to mislead you what I have told you hear is the very truth.

Blessings
Billy.

Re:Selling ginseng 10 years 7 months ago #24717

Yea I deftly appreciate all the advice I'll deftly keep selling all mine together and billy would u happen to know what dry seng going for in tn right now

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds

Who's Online

We have 78 guests and no members online

Login