2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is There a Market for Ginseng Leaf and Stem?

Is There a Market for Ginseng Leaf and Stem? 9 years 2 months ago #34076

Hello Everyone,

I saw an old thread from 2009 on this topic, but I was hoping for more current information. Does anyone know if there is a market for ginseng leaf and stem by the dried pound?

Thanks,
Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Is There a Market for Ginseng Leaf and Stem? 9 years 2 months ago #34080

There is a limited market for dried ginseng leaf and stem, I am actively trying to develop and grow this market. If you can get your ginseng certified organic, a rather expensive and complicated process, you can expect about double the price. Dry tops usually bring around $6 per pound.

Re:Is There a Market for Ginseng Leaf and Stem? 9 years 2 months ago #34082

Mills,
That price that you quoted of $6.00 per pound?? Is that a typo, or did you actually mean that? The price was $50.00 per pound for dried tops. $6.00 per pound is less than the cost of gasoline to take it somewhere or the cost of shipping, to send it to a dealer. Let's hear back from you on that.

Hugh

Re:Is There a Market for Ginseng Leaf and Stem? 9 years 2 months ago #34083

Not to step on Mill's toes here, but I've also been working on a connection for tops. The price range would be in the $40-50 range I expect...don't hold me to that, however.

Re:Is There a Market for Ginseng Leaf and Stem? 9 years 2 months ago #34085

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I have been reading through the USDA process to become Certified Organic, it looks to be a long and expensive process. However, it makes sense to be organic if you are selling tops, no one wants fungicides in their ginseng tea. To offset the expense of becoming certified I would agree that the higher prices quoted of $40 to $60 (I’ve even seen $75 advertised online) per pound is appropriate.

- Paul

Re:Is There a Market for Ginseng Leaf and Stem? 9 years 2 months ago #34110

Brad:

That sounds really good. I plan on topping all of my seng this year right as soon as I see the first one turning even close to yellow to stop the chance of poachers getting my seng. This would be really nice to sell the leaves. I am planted very far apart so no chemicals will be used (Lord willing, if so I won't sell them). I got 950 three year old rootlets from wildgrown so I figure them should make some nice tops. Not gonna mess with the seedlings as I would hope noone would mess with them or even notice them. Please post on the growing seng page if you do get into buying them or email me if you think of it. I also will keep the tops of the wild seng. In the early to mid 90s I used to sell the green seng and seal tops to the dealer in Sewellsville but they no longer are dealers and I couldn't dig for years (since then til last year) because of the crazy job I had, so I've been out of the loop.

Re:Is There a Market for Ginseng Leaf and Stem? 9 years 1 month ago #34142

Are those prices above quoted the prices for Certified Organic, or do those include non-certified as well.

Interesting post!

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds

Who's Online

We have 86 guests and no members online

Login