2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: In a pickle

In a pickle 13 years 6 months ago #6656

I live in WV. We have passed some tough laws in the last few years. I must travel 100 miles to find a dealer in WV. We have to sell in state.

I hear that Pa has passed similar laws recently. My friend and I (who lives in Maryland) have planted a total of 5 pounds in the last 3 years on land he owns in Pa.We have 2 more pounds to plant this year. It is 17 acres of mountain land, no buildings, facilities, or anything. If I understand the law correctly, when we get ready to harvest in a few years, that root cannot leave Pa, just like the law in WV.

I wonder if there are any allowances made for such situations?

Thanks,
Bill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:In a pickle 13 years 6 months ago #6671

If it is the same law as here in Illinois you can not take across the state line. Here it gets right down to the seeds on the plant, they can not be taken from one woods to another. You might want to check to see if you can get it certified, then it can be taken from one state to another. But each state my be different so do some checking to make sure. See if the laws on left of the page say anything, State Ginseng Laws.

Re:In a pickle 13 years 6 months ago #6673

Thank you!

Re:In a pickle 13 years 6 months ago #6674

Get it certified bg.

Re:In a pickle 13 years 6 months ago #6696

Of course it could be way different in your state but on the State of Tennessee website it mentions this:

A Ginseng Dealer Permit is required to buy ginseng harvested in Tennessee for resale or to transport across state lines.

To move ginseng out of the state requires an Export Certificate from a certifying official.

==

There is a 250.00 annual fee for a Dealer Permit.

Not sure what it cost (if anything) to get a certifying official to give you a export certificate.

I would like to know though. Will look into that some more.

TNhunter

Re:In a pickle 13 years 6 months ago #6698

On the wildgrown site there is some info on State Laws for Ginseng in different states - see below:

TNhunter

==
WV (did not see any mention of export requirements)
==

? The West Virginia Division of Forestry, serves as the state?s ginseng coordinator, and can be reached at (304) 558-2788 or at:

1900 Kanawha Blvd., East
Charleston, WV 25305-0180

==
PA
==

? A commercial license must be obtained from the state by anyone who intends to export from the state any ginseng harvested in Pennsylvania.

? The PA Department of Conservation & Natural Resources, Bureau of Forestry, serves as the state?s ginseng coordinator. This office can bereached at (717) 787-3444 or:

6th Floor, Rachel Carson
State Office Bldg.
P.O. Box 8552
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8552

Re:In a pickle 13 years 6 months ago #6701

Thanks guys. I read the entire Pa law to the left there. My solution is to get a Pa dealer's permit. Only $50 at present time. I wou't be ready to harvest for 7 or 8 years. But who knows what the laws will be then?

I understand that Pa just this year adopted new laws. If they are anything like WV's laws, it will require site assessment by a forestry official to document that you are growing. Our forestry dept here in WV said they anticipate a change in the federal law prohibiting the sale of wild ginseng. At that point if you do not have it documented that your ginseng was planted by you and is not wild, you will not be able to sell it.

Re:In a pickle 13 years 6 months ago #6703

We all might be missing the boat on this deal. I'm not too familiar with Ebay and international selling, but I wonder if there is someone from China or the far East bidding on these things. If anyone out there ever takes a shot at doing this, I would certainly be interested in not only knowing the results, but what it takes to make this type of selling legal.

Re:In a pickle 13 years 6 months ago #6704

Oops. I meant to type my last reply in the thread about Ebay. Sorry.

Re:In a pickle 13 years 6 months ago #6737

www.kyagr.com/marketing/ginseng-faq.html talks about selling on ebay.

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds

Who's Online

We have 252 guests and no members online

Login