2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when selling and buying wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Expensive food for critters

Expensive food for critters 13 years 4 months ago #8340

I have discovered that either voles or mice have been munching on my seng seed, as you all know the seed are too expensive and too much work goes into the planting process for these little peckerwoods to be dining in my plot. I set out 11 bait traps yesterday hoping to serve them their last meal.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Expensive food for critters 13 years 4 months ago #8369

Hillhopper,
I agree with that. I have found wild roots with bite marks before, must have been a vole, mole or mouse. I saw some turkey scratches in my seed beds a couple weeks ago here and there and I am not sure if anything can be done about that. I hope the voles and mice do not get to my seed too. Keep us updated on how many of those \"Little Peckerwoods\" you catch. I have heard the traps work good and who knows maybe all of us that are planting seed might have to use them eventually.
Latt

Re:Expensive food for critters 13 years 4 months ago #8372

My first effort at planting was a very small patch of both seed and rootlets. I did this in the woodline behind my home, at the rear of the yard. Everything looked good after planting, then I found that most of it had been dug UP. I later saw the problem...a squirrel!

Bad luck with the first patch. I agree that these little varmits need to be dealt with!

• Page:
Moderators: mikeleelatt
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds

Who's Online

We have 170 guests and no members online

Login