2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: While gathering mushrooms

While gathering mushrooms 9 years 8 months ago #29404

I found what has to be the largest 4 pronger today, that is a 35 LB kitty litter container I carry for fungi to give size reference. Latt asked me to post this.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:While gathering mushrooms 9 years 8 months ago #29405

Nice one shroom

Re:While gathering mushrooms 9 years 8 months ago #29406

Agree.. nice one and a nice wad of berries.

I would plant the ones that are red now and hope to get to plant the others when you come back and harvest the root.

Hope you can follow up and show us what the root looks like.

Based on the plant size and those large broad leaves and the big berry pod... I bet it is a good one.

Congrats on the find.

TNhunter

Re:While gathering mushrooms 9 years 8 months ago #29410

TN,
I was wondering, If a fella planted the red berries/seed as Shroomdawg did, what if he intended on leaving the plant and not digging it later on and was not able to get back to pick the remaining red berries after the green ones left behind ripened.

I think I remember you posting an experiment the showed green berries will do fine if planted late in the year.

So the question is do you plant the green berries or let them ripen and fall off leaving it up to mother nature.

Latt

Re:While gathering mushrooms 9 years 8 months ago #29418

I do remember finding a study that was done that said that something like 50% of green berries planted after 8/15 will actually germinate.

If I found a nice one like that before season opened, I would sure plant those red berries, but would come back after season opened and harvest the root and plant the rest of the red berries. It may be a little early for a green berry to be planted and make it.

I think after Sept 1 (our season opener) that most green berries planted will have a good chance of germinating.

That first week or so of season, I always find some that have a mix of red and green berries and I always plant them all.

TNhunter

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Who's Online

We have 630 guests and no members online

Login