2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 2021 Season

2021 Season 2 years 7 months ago #42819

Anyone getting fired up for the upcoming season? We’re only a few days away now. From talking to a couple of buyers this summer when selling goldenseal they’re all very optimistic about some decent prices due to their being a very strong demand for ginseng this year but as always I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. Of course it won’t matter much if it stays 90 degrees here with an unbelievably high level of humidity. Or at least for me it won’t. I won’t dig in that kind of heat. Anyways I hope that all of you are doing well and taking care of yourself. I enjoyed reading all of your posts this summer and looking at the pictures of your gardens.
Jimsanger

Please Log in to join the conversation.

2021 Season 2 years 7 months ago #42820

dont know how much digging i will do..iam harvesting berries this year.. may pinch the plants off and let them go another year..good luck to you......

2021 Season 2 years 7 months ago #42821

Went out to take a look at a few of the plants that I have here on our farm. I would never dig any of these cause they’re like pets to me now but I must say they look very good considering the heat that we’ve had.
Attachments:

Last Edit: by jimsanger.

2021 Season 2 years 7 months ago #42822

i am not going to dig any roots...going to pick berries and plant seeds...leave the roots to grow.
my little way to boycott china...lol
nice pics jimsanger

2021 Season 2 years 7 months ago #42823

You can never hurt your ginseng crop by leaving it in the ground and planting those berries!!!

2021 Season 2 years 7 months ago #42824

I may dig a little... I have the day off tomorrow...

somewhat torn between digging some seng, and going fishing... to old to do both in one day ???

Perhaps with a nap in between...

Sure beats working...

Good Luck to any that does dig. We have had so much rain here... even in July and Aug... it has to be doing well.

Anyone heard any speculation on prices for this season ?
I ended up getting 700.00 per pound price last year (around Thanksgiving).

TNHunter

Last Edit: by TNhunter.

2021 Season 2 years 7 months ago #42827

Wasn’t gonna do much digging until the heat and humidity went away this year but Hurricane Ida really took care of that. After 2 straight days of heavy rain it finally broke today and it was beautiful. I think the high today was 73 degrees and there was relatively no humidity so I took the opportunity to go to a new woods that I’ve been looking at for the past three years. It faced almost entirely north which is what got my attention. Anyways about 30 minutes into the hunt I started finding a little bit of bloodroot and a little later some blue cohosh was around but not longer after that my favorite companion plant out of all showed up, the old faithful Solomon Seal which to me is the best indicator of good soil for ginseng than any other. Well it wasn’t long after that I finally began to get into some nice ginseng. I dug a total of 20.8 ounces but the biggest blessing out of all was that this hunt was one of those when being in the woods is beautiful, it was nice and cool and the mosquitoes were no were to be found. I’ll bet I thanked the man upstairs at least a dozen times today for blessing me with such an amazing day doing something that I really love to do. You guys know how it is when you go into a new woods looking for ginseng rather than a spot that you already know it’s there. It’s a different level of excitement when you find some in an entirely new area. Anyways enough of my ranting. Good luck to everyone who goes out there and stay safe. You know as well as I do that the older we get the easier it is to fall out there and possibly get yourselves hurt. God bless all of you this year.

2021 Season 2 years 7 months ago #42830

I'm headed out in a few to go plant some berries at my usual spots. Perfect weather today should make for some awesome hunting. Good luck everyone!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds

Who's Online

We have 98 guests and no members online

Login