2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Planting Time?

Planting Time? 14 years 6 months ago #2870

Ok, I just got my seed (ordered from this site) and I am ready to plant.

It has been and is raining but it supposed to quit today.

Will it be ok to plant tomorrow, the soil will still be wet but its really my best chance to get it planted.

Thanks for your advice.

Stephen

P.S. the ordering process on this site is great, seed came very quickly.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Planting Time? 14 years 6 months ago #2871

Stephen, when it comes to planting ginseng seed, it is always recommeded doing it after the rain or when the soil contains enough moist. In general, ginseng hates wetness, yet loves moisture. On the one hand it does poorly in heavy, soggy soils especially bottom lands. The roots will rot if planted in low-lying areas. On the other hand, ginseng requires at least 20 inches of annual rainfall. Lack of available soil moisture greatly reduces germination, root growth, and seed production.

FYI, the best soils are humus rich sandy roams located on north or south facing slopes with sufficient moisture even during dry spells. Hope this helps and good luck with your ginseng!

Re:Planting Time? 14 years 6 months ago #2939

I took a half a pound of seeds and broadcast them in the woods the leaves are a bout a 1\" deep, we got a Good rain that night.How much do you think will come up??

I took a half a pound of seeds and pulled the leaves back and cover them back up, we got a Good rain that night.How much do you think will come up??

I live in Tenn,ginseng grows where i placed the seeds. just for fun your 2 cents.

Re:Planting Time? 14 years 5 months ago #3125

As long as you didn't cover them with alot of oak leaves, as long as they don't dry out, and as long as you didn't sow them too thick you should have about 50% of them come up for you, maybe a little more. In about three years you should have a good idea of how many plants you will have available to dig from that planting in the future. The die-off will be higher with thicker planting methods. I wouldn't plant them any thicker than about 4 seeds per square inch.

general

Re:Planting Time? 14 years 3 months ago #3264

What is the recommended broadcast for wild-simulated, General? I was going to plant them at 1 per SF; is that okay?

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds

Who's Online

We have 78 guests and no members online

Login