2024 Winter/Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: sold out
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Tnhunter

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #13141

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
The root is on its way Trev.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #13284

Billy,

That root came in the mail yesterday.

I checked it out and you had it packed nicely and the soil was still moist and the root looked GREAT !

I washed it off a bit and checked the neck and bud spur.

Here is a pic of that.

I noticed that there were only 4 flats (including the flat where this years trop broke off) on that root neck.

Do you think that thing is only 4-5 years old ?

I did notice that the tip of the bud spur is flat and dark (could just be dirt) or it may have been damaged a little between digging and making it to you.

Not sure but you can see that in the picture. Hope it comes up next spring - if not - it should the next, or if that is damage it may come up anyway but have odd looking leaves (not sure).

Hope it comes up a bueatiful 5 again.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #13286

I gave much thought to where to plant that thing.

I wanted to plant it where I know wild seng grows well and in a bueatiful spot too and in a place where it would be protected from deer (as much as possible).

I decided to put it on very steep bank just below a waterfall out back. I have dug a many good 3 prong off that bank over the years and while looking for shrooms last spring found a few down there that I left (for next season).

So it will have a little company there too.

Here is what the spot looks like from down below the falls.

See that beach tree there on the bank on the left.

I put the root in about 30-40 ft from that tree - on up the hill a bit and closer to the falls than that beach tree. In a spot there where it is very steep.

I actually had to take my seng digger and chop out flats on that bank to put my feet on so I could get over there.

I think this place is so steep that deer will not even risk going over there to browse on it.

I hope so.

Attachments:

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #13287

I got it planted there asap after it arived in the mail.

The dirt there on that bank is that rock chip filled stuff that seng really likes to grow in.

I have more pictures to post of how I planted it and will try to get to posting them after Church this morning.

TNhunter

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #13292

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Tn it is a nice root yea i noticed that to abou the neck bud,but i think i should be ok,we will see later as you said.

I think hat root is more like 20+ years old I learned along time ago that you can not count a root of that maturity just by the neck scares.I also have proved it to myself being fortunate to be handed down a holler by my teacher Adam nowing of wld seng from the original seng seed that he had replanted in the wild 30 years ago and many of the roots having only 13 or up to 17 scares other having 20,22 etc,but not one root harvested so far has had 30 scares in that spot...

It dont matter how good the soil is wild ginseng does not have a bud for every year it has lived if it lives long enough,unless once in awhile you get lucky and find one that does and I do 4 or 5 times a season find a 40+ year old and those plants have been fortunate to have every scare but I promise hat this is rare...

That particular root is much older than it appears Trev.

I love the spot you chose for it that is beautiful and it just looks like a place the old guy will like to grow and make beautiful seed pods in to me.

God bless you my friend and g/l with your work and on this exsperiment of ours ;)

Billy.

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #13293

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
P.S. Im excited about it.

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #13300

That hillside there is just covered in trillium and wild flowers in the spring - absolutely bueatiful.

There is still some trillium on it now as you can see from the first pic below where I started making a hole for it to live in.

Attachments:

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #13302

The soil there is the type that is grey in color and just full of rock chips.

I broke it up good and deep and here is what it looked like when I had it about ready for that root.

Attachments:

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #13303

In this next one I had put that root in there and covered it nicely with that rock chip filled soil that I sort of filtered thru my fingers to get the larger rock chips out.

Then once I had it covered up to the top of the root neck (which you can see there in the center) I put some larger flat rocks over the top all around where the root branches and root hairs were, just leaving the center open where the root neck / bud spur was.

That place will drain well, and those flat rocks will help to retain moisture.

I also put someting like 3-4 table spoons of gypsum in there as I covered the root and I also sprinkled about a half teaspoon full of Actinovate in the soil around the root (Organic Fungicide).

I took my time and made sure it was planted as good as I possibly could.

Attachments:

Re:Tnhunter 12 years 6 months ago #13304

Next I found some large rocks and bedded them into that bank on the outside of the hole to make sure it did not wash out and then I filtered anther 1.5 - 2\" of fine (filtered thru my fingers) top soil on top of that.

It was looking real good at that point.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds

Who's Online

We have 291 guests and no members online

Login