2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Billy

Re:Billy 14 years 3 weeks ago #3432

caught some today.11 pounder the biggest.....2 water dogs today one was 16 inches...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Billy 14 years 3 weeks ago #3434

Chief that is too cool, I would love to see some of them in the wild. I may have to go out again late this spring to look for them once again. A 30\" Mudpuppy is amazing! I was camping in TN once and some of the kids in the group went trout fishing. They soon came running back telling us of a huge salamander they had seen under the water near some boulders. As soon as they said that I ASSUMED it would be a Hellbender (salamander). I didn't go to look for it as they said I would have to wade across the stream in multiple places to get there, and it was in boulders, and I figured it would be gone by the time we made it back. Now I wish I would have went to take a look. Sadly enough most of the streams here are far from being pristine. The lack of certain types of reptiles and amphibians is really a downer for me. Hardly ever see a Ringneck Snake, Hognose, Corn Snake, or Milk Snake here anymore. When you are catching the Mudpuppies what is the average depth you are catching them in?

Re:Billy 14 years 3 weeks ago #3435

I'v caught them from anywhere from 2 foot of water to 12 feet

Re:Billy 14 years 2 weeks ago #3437

Thanks for the reply. Any change in depth as the year goes on and water temps rise?

Re:Billy 13 years 11 months ago #3516

• 5prong
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Since this seems to be the game and fish site I thought I'd share a pic
Attachments:

Re:Billy 13 years 11 months ago #3517

Congrats on the bird 5prong. What were his stats? What state you live in?

Re:Billy 13 years 11 months ago #3518

Thanks Shroomy, I didn't weigh him but would guess 20-22 lbs. He had the longest beard of 3 longbeards that slipped in silently. I live in Eastern Ohio and have been pretty excited about getting to hunt afternoons. In ohio it hasn't been legal to hunt after noon. That changed this past monday. Got pretty lucky really as I was hunting a property that I really haven't turkey hunted much. Went in one morning last week and heard one gobbling on the roost. Couldn't get him to come mya way that day so ysesterday afternoon decided to set up high on this saddle that connected to the roost area. Couldn't see real far, but knew it should work IF he came from the direction I thought he would. I sat there for about an hour and a half doing some very light calling. Out of nowhere I see this head pop up directly in front of me at 35 yards. Then 2 more appeared. By the time I got a chance to look them over and pick out the one with the longest beard they had closed the distance to 25 yards. The story ended with the report of my mossberg 535 xx full choke turkey gun. He had a 10 3/4\" beard and 7/8\" and 1\" spurs respectively.

Re:Billy 13 years 11 months ago #3520

way to go 5,I had 2 first season permits...filled them both with one shot from the 10 bore...2 jakes.... ....went to the Wabash river last Sat. ..I dont think you could have much more fun on 2 rod and reels than I did..48 total...

Re:Billy 13 years 11 months ago #3521

5Prong that is a cool story and nice bird. I have killed birds and set people up almost exactly how you did. It works great in the evenings, as well as mornings when the birds dont want to gobble. I figured when you tagged the bird in you would have paid attention to the weight. Weight of birds always interest me in the different parts of the country. The average adult bird for this area is 18-22 lbs. from what I have seen and I have seen ALOT. Largest I have ever killed was 29 lbs. and that's been quite a few years ago. ANYHOW, congrats again man, way to adapt to a situation.

Chief that looks like alot of fun as well as eating! Congrats to you on the kills/catches. How did you do on the morels this past season?

Re:Billy 13 years 11 months ago #3522

well found a few over 500 but it was still a bad year..didn't rain here when we needed it....

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Who's Online

We have 885 guests and no members online

Login