2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Ohio Seng Season 2010

Re:Ohio Seng Season 2010 13 years 8 months ago #5204

Pretty nice pod of berries.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ohio Seng Season 2010 13 years 8 months ago #5205

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
O man thatw as great thanks for sharing these picks 5 I needed a seng fix thats for sure 4 or 5 days out of the woods during prime season will bug ya out man..Congrats on finding some nice ones today.

Re:Ohio Seng Season 2010 13 years 8 months ago #5206

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
5prong wrote:

Pretty nice pod of berries.

They sure are I cant get over how yellow your seng already is.

Re:Ohio Seng Season 2010 13 years 8 months ago #5207

Here's another nice fourprong that had already dropped most of its berries.
Attachments:

Re:Ohio Seng Season 2010 13 years 8 months ago #5211

Billy, my county is in a drought again, but the county to the south of here has had some rain recently and everything that I've seen down ther is still green. I've got one more spot to go up here in my home county, then I've got a couple to try out down there where it's still green. I am still finding some green ones up here too. It was kind of a strange summer with a good bit of rain in June and the first Half of July, bust since then we've had virtually nothing. I'm really hoping you get back on your feet before long. Hope you can get some enjoyment from these pics though I realize it aint the same as being out there.
Attachments:

Re:Ohio Seng Season 2010 13 years 8 months ago #5401

Well guys, it's been a tough week. I haven't had a lot of time to get out lately. Just a few hours after work a couple of times and about 4 hours yesterday morning. I've only been searching in new (to me) areas. I've been in a couple that looked just great, but couldnt locate a single seng plant. I've also just recently gotten permission to check out a huge property that is mostly up and down walking. I went Friday after work and checked out this north facing hill that you can see from the road. This area has been select cut recently and is very thick and hard to climb around on not just because of the growth and treetops, but also because of the steepness of that slope. I braved it and climbed and crawled around that hillside only to be skunked that night. After wearing my legs out on that hillside I decided to go the other side of the road and start up this hollow that runs north and south just to check things out. Like I said this is a huge property (for this part of the country anyways) and I was just trying to feel it out and learn my way around a little.
Well I didn't find any seng over there either, but it hadn't been timbered recently and found some sign that I was heading in the right direction. So Saturday morning headed back up that hollow, went over the ridge and out another ridge to a north facing slope. By this time it's about 9:45 AM and I have to be out of the woods by no later than 11 AM. (Family commitments).
I can't say I got into a really thick patch, because I really didn't have enough time to really thouroughly check it out, but I did manage to dig 17 bunches before heading back in. Nothing real huge, but some decent roots. I really need a whole day to spend back in there and that's still not enough time. I may have to take a vacation day. Most of the plants I saw yesterday were still very green, but most had dropped their berries. I don't know if I'll be physically able to get around on this terrain in ten years, but it should be really good by then as their are a LOT o juvenile plants in there.
I didn't snap a lot of pics while in the woods as I didn't see anything phenomenal, but did take one of the only seng plant that I saw that was starting to turn yellow. I also took a couple of shots of the roots I collected from way back in there.

Re:Ohio Seng Season 2010 13 years 8 months ago #5402

Here's th only one from that hillside that was showing any sign of yellow. I thought it was odd that it still held 3 berries when almost all of the others I found back there had already dropped theirs and they were still very green.
Attachments:

Re:Ohio Seng Season 2010 13 years 8 months ago #5403

Here's a little manroot. Not huge by any means, but I counted 26 neck scars.
Attachments:

Re:Ohio Seng Season 2010 13 years 8 months ago #5404

The days total haul (A whopping 5 ounces LOL)
Attachments:

Re:Ohio Seng Season 2010 13 years 8 months ago #5428

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
I tell you 5 I have seen days when I didnt dig more than 3 ounces in 7 or 8 hours walking and hunting,sure have,but I always say that seng hunting is rewarding in different ways,Sometimes the peace and relaxation,other times the exercise,but I have the most fun digging a pile :o) .......

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds

Who's Online

We have 373 guests and no members online

Login