2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Ohio Seng Season 2010

Re:Ohio Seng Season 2010 13 years 7 months ago #6189

I talked to a buyer not too far away who has agreed to a price of $475. I'm going over tomorrow evening to sell the little bit I've got this year. I wouldn't doubt if the price would get to around 550 or a little better by late winter, but really haven't got enough this year to squabble over price. $475 is a little better than what I got last year and is currently better than the prices I'm seeing from around most of the rest of the country.

I hope the rest of you guys get a price that you're satisfied with. It's been a pleasure chatting with all of you this fall. I'm hoping to have a dealers lisence by next fall. My thought is that if enough of us diggers got a dealers lisence we could band together and get a little better price for all that walking and sweating we do in the early season. Good luck and God Bless!!!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Ohio Seng Season 2010 13 years 6 months ago #7022

Well guys,

I just entered a new chapter in my ginsenging experiences. For the first time ever I ordered and planted some stratified seed and 3 year old rootlets.

First off, I would like to share with all of you my first impression of the seed and the rootlets. The seed looked very good and when I treated them with a clorox bleach solution and float tested them, I was pretty pleased as I only had about a dozen floater out of 4 ounces of seed. The 3 year old rootlets I was very dissapointed with. I had 3 that were rotting and mushy, and 6 that were rusty. This was out of 33 total roots! I don't want to talk bad of anyone selling seed or rootlets, and don't assume that my experience is typical for this seller or any other, but my instincts tell me that from now on I'll only get seed if anything at all. I'll wait to see if they germinate and how many make it to the end of next summer.

I am very sceptical now. Even though I didn't see anything wrong with the other roots, I can't help but wonder if they aren't infected being in the same bag and all. I planted the roots down low on the hill next to a drainage as I have heard that most diseases generally spread downhill. None of these were planted right next to any well established patches even though there is ginseng growing in that hollow.

The seeds I planted in a variety of areas and using a variety of planting methods. I didn't plant any of these right in the midst of known patches either, but did plant some 30-40 yards to either side of some known patches of wild seng.

I guess all I have to do now is to wait six months to see what all comes up.

I want to thank all of you growers who have shared your expeiences on this website. I doubt if I'd have planted this fall without some insight as to what to expect. I will only plant wild simulated. I won't ever do anything to these now that they are in the ground. If at least 25% make it ten years, then it will have been a very good investment. Nothing will ever replace the thrill of hunting it for me though. I just love to find those plants that are 25+ years old:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds

Who's Online

We have 334 guests and no members online

Login