2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Well here you go.

Well here you go. 13 years 8 months ago #5256

Billy I know I said I didn't like to share these photos. But after enjoying everyone elses photos and stories I figured I would share a few from this year. First off I want to tell everyone that I am using multiple dehydrators to dry roots and they dry within 24 hrs.. So with that said. I am having a good season and enjoying it very much. Although many plants are dropping tops already and many are just stalks. I am still finding alot of plants, and tons of immature plants that will make future seasons even better. I have seen some very cool things while out. Caterpillars I have not seen in years, numerous deer, ducks, geese, etc.. But what really makes me smile is seeing those big ole mature plants which are so rare around my area. It kind of makes me feel bad about digging them, but that's what I am out there to do. I have plant 1,000's of berries and pinched tops off of lots of immature plants while digging the matures. I have also been into areas where people have dug plants, left the berries as well as the tops laying next to the holes and off to dig more. These I picked the berries off of planted, and even pushed rootlets back into the holes and covered them up. Makes me sick. Anyhow, here are a few photos I figured I would share.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Well here you go. 13 years 8 months ago #5258

I was digging alot of smaller 3's and 4's and out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of red. I spun around and headed to the cluster I saw hiding in some brush. Well after peering over the fallen trees I noticed a big mature Jack-in-the-Pulpit plant and started to turn around and head down to the next ridge. As I was turning I noticed another clump of red further back in the pile of fallen trees. So I hopped up ontop of one of the fallen trees and this is what I saw when I peered down!!! Brought a smile to my face.

I dug multiple mature plants in this huge blowdown, a few of them 25-28\" tall. Billy you know how much I love finding those grand daddy roots!

Re:Well here you go. 13 years 8 months ago #5259

Further into the woods I came across this. Which really got me excited. I had never found so many big plants in one day!

Re:Well here you go. 13 years 8 months ago #5260

So I am still digging plant after plant and I come upon this. Which still makes me smile when looking at the photo. Too young to dig, but still makes me happy as can be finding it. I pinched the top and have the leaf between two pieces of wax paper in a book pressing it.

Re:Well here you go. 13 years 8 months ago #5261

So as I am leaving the woods at dusk I decide to swing past an area I had been walking past the last two day while entering the woods. Digging plants towards the edge of the woods I come upon this daddy!

Re:Well here you go. 13 years 8 months ago #5262

I have lots more photos that I may share at a later date. But will leave with this one. This is part of what I have dug so far this season. What do you think? =)
Hope everyone is having a great season. Digging some roots, and having fun!
Billy email me man and let me know how you are doing please.
Take care everyone and be safe.

Re:Well here you go. 13 years 8 months ago #5273

Nice pics Shroomy, Thanks for sharing. Funny you should mention Caterpillars as I've noticed several in the past week that I don't ever recall seeing before. Wish I would have taken some pics.

Re:Well here you go. 13 years 8 months ago #5275

Darn good bunch of roots. Good going.

Re:Well here you go. 13 years 8 months ago #5280

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Well Glory Shroomy brother you have just brought smiles to my face and grins to boot lol man that is some great plants and I must say I enjoyed the adventure reading and looking at all those nice tops made me feel that I was there with you about to holler big 4 and 2 good threes :o) aww man there is simply nothing that can take the place of digging a good days dig of good mature Ginseng,,,the good man above new what he was doing when he created those big 4 prongs and especialy when he put those big crimson pods of berries up there to just make you smile and be happy :o)

Congrats Shroomy..........

Re:Well here you go. 13 years 8 months ago #5310

Billy I'm glad you got a kick out of the photos. Here are a few more from today and I hope they bring a smile to your face.

Here is a shot of the area I was telling you about. Look at the trees =).

I decided to hit a new area of woods after taking that photo for you. I had started up a steep ridge and spotted a few nice 4 prongs, after digging them I glanced up the very sheer hillside and figured I would give it a shot. You know how I'm always looking for those mother plants. Well I get near the top of the ridge and have only dug a few plants here and there. As I started to turn to give up and head for greener pastures I spot a few more 4 prongs, dig them and then look to my left and about fell back down the hill. This is what I saw!!!

The photo does not do it justice, many plants without leaves, and some out of the frame. But there were over 40 mature 3 and 4 prong plants in this group!!

The days take minus what my buddy dug. Not bad 5 hours of digging. Over 2 lbs. wet! I may make the goal we talked about, and surpass what you predicted =)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 206 guests and no members online

Login