2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Afew pic.'s from the woods this morning..

Afew pic.'s from the woods this morning.. 13 years 7 months ago #6493

these were about as fresh [still got a little life in them]as I found this morning... ...most are as far gone as this one... ..this one was just a stem..note how dry it is..ground was as hard as concrete... ...found 19 ounces..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Afew pic.'s from the woods this morning.. 13 years 7 months ago #6499

Worse than that here chief. I consider my season offically over. I hope you get another 15lb. this year.
Looks like you got some real nice roots this year.
Heard anymore on prices last i heard was 460.00lb. last week.

Re:Afew pic.'s from the woods this morning.. 13 years 7 months ago #6500

Chieftan,

Glad you are still able to find a few.

I expect I could to if I looked real hard but no doubt a lot are completely gone here now. In my little patch out back - the little 3 prong - If I did not know exactly where it was at - I would not be able to find it. It is down flat and brown now - no yellow left.

Looks like your dirt is about as dry and hard as ours.

I think we have only had about 1/4 inch of rain in the past 5-6 weeks.

I expect that is bad news for all of the seng berries that just fell off this year, and probably even bad news for all the ones we planted.

I hate that.

Perhaps the planted ones will do better than I expect. I sure hope so. I spent a lot of time planting berries this year as I do every year.

TNhunter

Re:Afew pic.'s from the woods this morning.. 13 years 7 months ago #6503

heard 500 here in ILL. Triton...TN I sure hope all the seeds that you and I and the rest of the crew on here planted this year germinate...but I'm with you, all this hot weather and lack of rain may not do the seeds any good.

Re:Afew pic.'s from the woods this morning.. 13 years 7 months ago #6504

Chieftain, looks like your area is catching up to where I live. If I thought I could find plants that looked like that, I would be out in a second, but sadly, I've been done for well over two weeks now.

From all the posts I have read this year, Central Indiana has been drier than just about any place else. I knew it was going to be a hot dry one (never dreamt it would be this bad though), so I tried to think ahead. I tried to take all my berries to the wettest bottoms I could find. I wanted to give them a fighting chance.

Re:Afew pic.'s from the woods this morning.. 13 years 7 months ago #6505

Dry here in Missouri too. Found 39 oz. today. Most was just about dead but still a couple with red berries. I think today was my last hunt for this year.

The first year I planted stratified seed it was real dry like this and they still done fine .Hope it rains soon.

Re:Afew pic.'s from the woods this morning.. 13 years 7 months ago #6506

Lenno,

That is encouraging that your stratified seed did OK even when planted in similar dry conditions.

I checked with Glenn Brady over in Pulaski TN this evening on price and he said 500.00/lb but that he could do a little better than that if the seller had good quality seng and larger quantity (say 8-10 lbs) which we will have that.

He also indicated that he thought the best time to sell would likely be between Nov 15 and Dec 15. He based that on previous years experience and the demand from his buyers is usually highest in that timeframe. He said his buyers often seem to loose interest after the Chinese new years celebration (Jan 1, but last about 2 weeks for them) and after that they just don't come back for more.

He also told me that his seed supplier (shade grown cultivated wisconsin site) had no seed to sell him this year, so he has none to sell. He talked like they had some kind of disaster (he thought frost/freeze) that caused them to loose their seed crop this time.

I wonder if that affected a lot of sites in wisconsen (where most stratified seed and rootlets seem to come from).

Looks like this site - wildgrown - is also having problems with seed/rootlets to sell this year - I think their note says a flood has caused delays.

Sounds like there could be a serious shortage of seed and rootlets for sale this year.

TNhunter

Re:Afew pic.'s from the woods this morning.. 13 years 7 months ago #6507

TNhunter,

I seen an old post on here somewhere the other day with a name of a seed supplier.His name is Barry Anker and I called him thursday about seed,ordered some for 45 a pound shipped(needed some extra to add to my own)

He is from wisconsin. told me he was running low on seed this year also.

Thought this might help if you are loking for reasonably priced seed.His number is 715 853 7154.

Of course I have never bought from him before so I dont know about the quality.

Lenno

Re:Afew pic.'s from the woods this morning.. 13 years 7 months ago #6508

Lenno,

Thanks for the info on the seed supplier.

I would really like to start planting seed perhaps after it comes a good rain or two. Not sure when that will be but I sure hope it is not too much longer.

Question - when you get the seed in - how do you store it and keep it from drying out until you get it all planted ?

I am thinking of starting off with 2-3 lbs of seed this year, but not sure how long it would take me to get that much planted so a little concerned about how to best store it until I get it all planted.

Would like to know how you handle that if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks

TNhunter

Re:Afew pic.'s from the woods this morning.. 13 years 7 months ago #6512

TNhunter,

When I get my seed I keep it in the fridge in a ziplock bag. Put a couple drops of water in the bag every couple days and also open the bag to let it air out a little,stirring the seeds.Just try to keep an eye on them so they dont get too dry,but of course not too wet either.

Hope this helps, Lenno

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 232 guests and no members online

Login