2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Where do I send soil samples in NC.

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29227

garethNjessica,
In Madison County you will find mostly rainbows with some browns and brook trout. There is a hatchery on the Davidson River and a wonderful stream that is top notch. It is located just outside of Brevard, N.C. If you have ever seen the movie Cold Mountain, it is located not too far from there. The Smokies are pretty close to Waynesville and Canton, N.C. and the Cataloochee Valley is just a stones throw from there. It has all three trout species and a huge ginseng patch that was started by the original settlers. It is protected now and they hang you by the toes if they catch you messing around it.
Haywood County is very similar to Madison County as far as growing ginseng goes. They paid some of the highest prices for quality ginseng in Canton that I saw this past season. The last prices that I saw from there were $1200.00 per pound.
The counties come together at just about the middle of Cocke County, Tn. so I've spent about as much time in one as I have the other. I think that the reason prices are higher there is because you're getting closer to the Smokies, the Interstate, and somewhat larger towns. About the only thing you'll find to dislike in either one of them is that plague that follows ginseng wherever you might go. It's called poachers and there are lots of them on either side of the mountain. You can find out who they are and go talk to them about staying away from your property and their eyes just glaze over. I think that I will stop right there before my mouth gets away from me.

Hugh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29231

So I'm taking poaching is the number 1 concern with crops. Even if land is marked, they won't hesitate to come on in and take what they want. Do the poachers just go to the woods and search? Do they hit certain areas? They have no fears that a loaded barrel may be waiting on them? What do you mean by their eyes glaze over? What's the best way to keep them off your private property. No matter if seng is there or not? Sorry to ask so many questions.

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29234

Yep,
Poaching is the number 1 problem and no one seems to know how to stop it. Much of it is fueled by drugs. Pill heads trying to get their hands on Oxycotin, Hydrocodone, Percocet, and any other pain killers they can get their hands on. Eyes glazing over is the same as going in one ear and out the other. I can give you all kinds of answers to what you have asked , but none of them really seem to work all the time. This is one that you'll have to figure out by yourself, because I don't have an answer. This is one that you need to read up on.
Hugh

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29245

I guess drugs is a problem no matter where you go. It's a nightmare here in FL. Pills are a little more under control, but still a large problem. I guess the only way to stop them would be to rig the piece of property. Wow, that would cost some bucks! Is there any perticular area of Madison county I should stay away from in looking for property because of junkies? Or are they like here, you can kill and treat the fleas, but still are scattered and keep coming back! Is NC a gun friendly state? Fl is a stand your ground state. Would it be wise to go and talk to the local Sherriff and get aquainted? Or, are they in on it and corruption reigns free.

Gareth

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29248

gareth.
This is a problem that occurs anywhere that ginseng is grown. Almost every year you hear of someone being shot who was caught stealing from another persons property. Usually the one who did the shooting is the one who has to pay,(sadly).
The best that anyone seems to offer is to have good neighbors and set up trail cams. Dogs are a good deterrent, as are motion sensors, but they only help so much. As I said, this is one that you'll have to figure out on your own. You'll have about 3-4 years after planting to prepare and then expect visitors.
Hugh

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29265

Gotcha. Glad I have time to think and plan. Is that what I can expect, 3 to 4 years after rootlets are planted? Does the ginseng shop on this site have good seeds and rootlets?

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29266

Gareth,
The 3-4 years that I mentioned is ,if you are planting seeds. It will take 3-4 years for seedlings to make 3 prong plants. If you buy 3 year old rootlets they will be large enough the first year after planting to make a legal sized, diggable plant and the thieves will go for them. I would suggest that you plant many more seeds than rootlets. A mixture of both is fine , but you need some time to learn about growing this plant and one year is not enough. I'm not sure what is enough time. There are people on this board that have been growing ginseng for 20 years and they are still learning what works and what doesn't. If you have good soil and a good location, that will take care of a lot of problems.

Wild Grown does sell a good product. Just be sure you don't take seeds that you have bought and place them in a refrigerator to store them while you are planting. That's a no..no! Make a little square box with fine wiring or cage material that is small enough to keep critters out. Place your seed in sand if you want to hold them for awhile and bury your seeds in the ground until you start to use them. Be sure you look at all the videos from people on this board to know just how to plant seed properly. The Modified Hankins method that I use in the mountains has worked pretty good and may keep from spreading disease so much. Try rake and scatter, as well as the Modified Hankins, and just plain raking the leaves back and dropping seeds onto the ground as Billy shows in his video. Be sure to walk them down into the soil for good contact. You can tell in a season or two which one works best or if you get disease from one method more than another. Rainfall is going to be pretty heavy in the mountainous areas and be absolutely sure you have planted in good drainage areas.

Hugh

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29267

Mr. Hugh, I guess growing seng is like the old saying \"never to old to learn something\". Buying seeds and rootlets is kinda what I had in mind. I'll check out the modified Hankins method. Any specific sites I should look? The first thing I plan on doing when I find an area is have the soil tested. That will tell me everything. I have some properties to go look at in August and Sept. Hopefully with the right terrain, I can find something. This will be try number 5 at the NC mountains, been trying my whole life and have failed. I've had an attachment to them since I first went there as a kid. I'm never giving up on the dream. Oh yeah, how long will the seeds hold in the ground in sand? Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29268

Gareth,
I find the Modified Hankins method a little better for steep ground and slightly less density planting. It is nothing more than taking a long handled Spade or hoe and placing the corner end into the ground and pulling a small trench about 1 inch deep. You can go around rocks and other obstacles using this technique. Rake and Scatter on steep ground does not work too well so this can be a good place to switch methods. Just drop your seeds after making a trench and cover the soil and leaves back over the shallow trench. The seed will hold in the ground until late winter and then it will start to break open and sprout. You've got to get into the ground real quickly once it starts to open up.
Hugh

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29269

OK. Very similar to how we plant certain crops here. We never spread or \"broadcast\". We plant leafy greens using the Hankins method. Works very well. OK, I'm learning. In your expierence, does seng need micro nutrients? Are they important as calcium and phosphourus? I should be looking for a minimum of 5000 lbs. per acre of calcium and 90 per acre of P. Is that correct? How does adjusting the soil with gypsum work? Once applied, do I have to test the soil and add every year? Sorry, I hope I don't sound stupid. Here in FL we have Imokalee soil in my area. It leaches out everything, N, P, K, micro nutirents. It's junk soil or really it's sand. No nutritional value. You have to add organic matrial for years to build soil here. This is something very different.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds

Who's Online

We have 195 guests and no members online

Login