2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Where do I send soil samples in NC.

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29270

Gareth,
This is where making good decisions will pay off for you. Your soil samples will tell you every thing you need to know. If you get back readings that show a need to add lots of any thing, don't buy it. What you are looking for is soil that has lots of high grade limestone in it. This almost assures you of getting all the other ingredients that ginseng needs. The soils along the Blue Ridge Escarpment are these types of soils. They extend on into the Max Patch, Walnut Mountain, Bluff Mountain and some surrounding areas of the Appalachian Chain. About all that you need to do in this general area is put your seed in the ground. Many of the other areas of the Appalachian Mountains will grow ginseng well, but the roots will be a little smaller due to needing Phosphorus and Calcium. As far as micronutrients go, Magnesium would be the only other one that might need to be adjusted and that would be from lots of rain leeching away available Mag. If you get a piece of ground that needs a lot of fertilizers, you are defeating your purpose and will never get the best results that you would get otherwise. It's possible to find a piece of ground that comes close to having the Calcium requirements you need and adding Gypsum can help. My woodlots needed extra Calcium so I've added some each year for 3 years. That's not too hard in a woodlot, but sizeable acreage is different and can be costly. If you apply heavily, 2 times in the lifetime of ginseng is probably enough.
I've given you the general ideas, now is the time to get with the locals and find the piece of ground that will work. Your County Agent can help greatly and maybe other growers in the area that you choose.

Hugh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29280

Thank you for your help and time responding to my questions. I've takin to heart everything you talked to me about. I'll be making a trip up at the end of Aug. to start our journey. Man this is going to be one, that's for sure. 3 year adventure to get there. I'll keep in touch. P.S. When I need a fly guide to show me the finer art that's needed, are you intrested?

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29281

Gareth,
I hope that I have helped a little bit. I'm really just one of the guys on the board that happens to live close to where you might be locating. There are many on here that can make my abilities look shameful. I just hope that you find a place that fills the need for what you are wanting to do. If you have experience growing vegetables in Fla. you will find a need for it here in N.C. to help get you a little extra money until the ginseng starts paying off. Sweet Corn, tomatoes, okra, and a pole bean called Greasy Backs really sell well at the Ashville Farmers Market which is close by. Since ginseng takes some time to mature, you're going to need some extra income to fall back on until you get there.

Maybe we'll get a chance to fish together as friends while you're getting started. I retired a couple of years ago so I don't guide commercially any more. I can still give you some tips.

I wish you the best at this new life style and I want to hear back from you as time moves along.

Hugh

Re:Where do I send soil samples in NC. 9 years 9 months ago #29286

You read my mind. That's what the wife and I plan on doing. Transfering her buisness up there to help us out. We love growing. Hopefully the economy will hold together and doesn't pop. Thanks again for your time and help. I can't wait for a new life style, that's the number 1 reason we are persuing this. For us and our children. I'll keep in touch. Sincerely, Gareth

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds

Who's Online

We have 176 guests and no members online

Login