2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Berries keep going

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29356

Rootman, I like your idea. However, 2 years ago me and a buddy dug some nice 30 + year old roots to transplant. We dug about 40 roots the 2nd week of September. We got all but 10 of them transplanted.

Not thinking to much about it I told him to put the 10 roots we had left over in a plastic bag with some of the native soil in it topped off with some leaf litter from the woods and to leave the bag unsealed until he had a chance to transplant them. He just added a little bit of water to get the leaf litter moist making sure not to water too much where they would rot in the bag.

I assumed he would transplant them the following weekend. However, a month and a half later he told me he had not transplanted them yet and that they were still in the bag of dirt in his basement.

Much to my surprise all of the roots were like the day we dug them a month and a half earlier. Not only did the growth bud survive without rotting, heck they actually continued to get a little bigger.

All 10 roots were planted and came up great the following year.

So I like your idea. But I thing those poaching knuckle heads would figure out they could dig in May, June, July and August and then store them in dirt and sell them in as fresh in September.

From what I have heard and read here and there it does not sound like some buyers check to see if the root neck has a growth bud on it or not when it is dried out. Obviously a growth bud indicates the roots was dug at the right time. No growth bud indicates the root was dug early.

Unfortunately, I think the roots stored in dirt might even develop a growth bud in the bag of dirt making it look like it was dug in season.

So in essence the seed would never had a chance to develop and repopulate the wild seng. So it is possible the goal to switch to buying and selling fresh ginseng only may face some challenges.

I still like the thought tho rootman and I am glad you are thinking about a way to eliminate or slow down the poaching and early digging. Your idea may still work.

Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29359

Latt, I've thought about all that also but it would sure slow down the digging out of season
especially the people wanting the quick money from illegal buyers.

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29360

Okay,
here is one more idea to prevent poaching.
Lets face it, nothing can be done to the roots without affecting the cost in the end.
Part 1. Suppose that a dealer could only buy fresh or dried roots with the tops attached? follow me on this ok. Once the dealer verifies the stems and leafs are attached they could be removed and the roots weighed and purchased. It would be the diggers responsibility to handle the ginseng in a matter that would keep the stems attached. No stem/no sale period.

Part 2. Suppose there was a dye that could be made from poke berries or elderberries or any other source that could be sprayed onto the plant foilage that would permantly mark it for the growing season? Now suppose that it would also be illegal for a dealer to buy ginseng that had any dye applied to the tops that a digger may bring in. This would go a long way in preventing poachers going thru otherwise legal dealers.

Part 3. It would be the growers responsibility to actually get the dye and using a pump up sprayer mark his ginseng.

I know this is just more work for all involved, but i think it would be a step in the right direction.

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29363

Kduce,
Part 1 as a digger would be a pain, albeit beneficial. But, part 2 and 3 as a grower would be great. I like your way of thinking.

Hillhopper

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29430

rootman wrote:

I am like Lenno and K-duce I've been stewarding ginseng over 20 years and have learned more from trial and error than books I've read.

I still say that if you take away the sale of dried ginseng and dealers can only buy fresh green roots this will really help the poaching situation and take away the early illegal digging that occurs.
Think about it. take away the sale of illegal dry roots and you take away the early digging.

I totally agree! It will stop the early digging at least.

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29469

I think that everyone has some really great ideas on how to quell or stop poaching! This got me to thinking of ways to quell or stop poaching in the National Forests and even the National Parks. What if us non-poaching diggers, stewards and growers, were to enter into a partnership with the National Forest Service where they provide sign posts stating that \"This Location is under 24 Hour Surveillance for poachers, their's vehicles and accomplices\" and we erect the sign posts in areas where we know that Ginseng grows or seeds have been planted. Most of these criminals would not want to expose themselves or take the time to seek out and verify that there are cameras or people in these areas, so they would go home or look for other areas to poach in. I mean, if they don't know for sure that are no cameras or personnel watching, they sure aren't going to risk the chance at getting caught. This tactic may not work on every poacher but if it does on 50% or more of them, then we are gaining headway in stopping them. On another note, some folks could possibly be sort of Deputized or given the authority to make arrests of poachers and their accomplices by the Agencies with Jurisdiction in these areas. In mine' and Hugh's case, this would generally be TWRA, the Sheriff's Office for the County where we are patrolling and possibly the National Forest Service. This would require that we are armed and licensed to carry because you don't want to go up against a poacher that may also be armed. We may have to be Bonded as well.

Frank

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds

Who's Online

We have 288 guests and no members online

Login