2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Berries keep going

Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29272

This is the fourth picking of early ripening berries that are going to mountains that appear to have had all the ginseng dug from them. All the companion plants are there, but no ginseng for years. I'm still hoping that it makes a difference in the future.
Hugh
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29274

Very nice Hugh, and kudos to you for what you're doing in the mountains near where you live. I hope they flourish with seng in 10 years.

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29278

IM GLAD SOMEBODY IS GETTING SOME SEED! LOL
What seedheads of mine that weren't damaged got eaten by deer.
Oh well, I guess it will bump up the root growth a bit.

That is a fine thing you are doing there Hugh. Thumbs up to ya

Hillhopper

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29283

I done the same thing around my area Hugh. Now I cant step foot on the properties to check and see how its doing. Sad ain't it I keep honey bees just for the sake of helping the bees . Wonder when they will come get the honey That I give away, Sick of this world and its greed.

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29284

Agreed Hugh...hats off to you!

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29287

Thanks Fellows,
I hope that every time someone sees a post about planting extra seed that it encourages them to do the same thing. I just have faith that if enough of us plant seed that we can turn this (endangered species)plant thing around. This is too beautiful a plant to lose to thieves, poachers, and uncaring diggers. I'll keep on trying and I know that many of you will.

Hill,
I know the feeling that you are having over those berry tops. I lost practically all of mine last year to wet weather. If you think about it, it probably took another year of growing time off of your roots :laugh: I'm looking forward to coming down and help dig some of them.

Hugh

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29288

I agree with you Hugh. Keep in mind though, there is research out there that shows deer (along with habitat destruction) causes more damage to ginseng populations and reproduction than does illegal or over harvesting.

I still think you are doing a great job and enjoy hearing about it.

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29289

And you know what really stinks. I bet none of these poachers take the time to plant the berries/seeds when they are out poaching seng in August and September when the berries are ripe. Yea I know poachers probably dig more seng in the May, June and July when less people are in the woods and the berries aren't on yet. Once a thief always a thief and I bet they dig in season too and take their chances as well. Just a bad scenario all the way around.

They need to start a new reality show called \"UFC verses American Outlaws\".
Turn UFC fighters loose in the woods to track and kick some poachers @$$. I'd watch it for sure.
Latt

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29290

Well Fellows ,
I just got back from planting those berries that you saw. It really felt good to place them in black as coal, loose, rich soil. I saw a total of 2 plants while I was planting these berries. I planted them 2 years ago.

Brad you are probably right about what does the most destruction to ginseng in the wild. I can't argue with that. It's just that I still remember last year when I was hunting ginseng for the first time at how many times I passed young women 12 miles back in the middle of nowhere with no one in the car with them just as it was getting daylight. Then, one morning I caught a fellow on his hands and knees digging in the ground. When I confronted him he tried to lie and tell me he was hiking with a pair of snake chaps and snake boots on . He had a large knife on his side and a freezer bag in his pocket. I didn't budge an inch with him and told him I knew he was a ginseng poacher. He finally admitted he was going to be picked up by his girl friend at a guest house a couple of miles away. He said he did not think he was hurting anything. He was just one of 4 that were coming over the state line. I watched another one get picked up by his girl friend as we were coming out one afternoon. I ran into him again in the same vicinity a few weeks ago. They are there and they repulse me.

Latt, You are exactly right. They would not turn their hand to plant a seed if their life depended on it. I think part of the punishment for getting caught digging out of season or poaching should be what ever the penalty is plus having to buy and plant at least a pound of seed back into the mountains. It should be supervised to be sure that it is taking place.

Hugh

Re:Berries keep going 9 years 9 months ago #29291

Hugh,
I think that is a noble cause that you have started, good job.
It would probably take 20 or more years of constant planting and stewarding to get those populations back to sustainability. Back in the 80s most of the ginseng on my property was almost wiped out. What i have learned is that those big ole seed heads take time in the wild, lots of time. finding a plant with 50 or so berries is very rare. As soon as that ginseng gets to 3 prong stage and someone finds it, well you know its going in the bag. where i live 3 and 4 prongs are common, but most time with small to no seed heads.Leaving some of those big plants that produce alot of seed will be the only way to bring back ginseng populations and with the greed of people today thats just not gonna happen. The only hope ginseng has now is for private land owners to continue to steward their ginseng and do their best to prevent poaching, Govt. land will never have the bounty of ginseng of yester-year and planting anything there is only feeding the poachers. DONT FEED THE POACHERS..
Attachments:

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds

Who's Online

We have 493 guests and no members online

Login