2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: A look at 3 year olds in the mountains

A look at 3 year olds in the mountains 9 years 9 months ago #29557

I have seen a few posts with pictures of 2-3-4 year old rootlets made by different members on the board. They are always beautiful and it makes me want to see just how well my plants look \"underneath all that black rich soil\" in the mountains. I've seen pictures of rootlets with amazing root hair growth and I just said to myself today, \"I am going to dig one or two of mine and just see how they compare\". Well, that was easier said than done. Carolyn and I took off to the mountains and she planted the few berries that we had left. After we finished with that chore we drove to another mountain to look at the 3 year olds and to see if I was brave enough to go through with digging one or two up and photographing them. The photos came pretty easily, but you talk about a wuss???
I could not bring myself to dig even one of the hundreds that were all around me.
You talk about a grown man with a Father's heart :ohmy: Maybe I'll get there. I told Hillhopper about this awhile ago and he said he understood. Here are some pictures. I was glad to see some berries sitting on several of them.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:A look at 3 year olds in the mountains 9 years 9 months ago #29558

The plants seemed to have good color to them.
Attachments:

Re:A look at 3 year olds in the mountains 9 years 9 months ago #29559

They are getting big enough for poachers to spot now.
Attachments:

Re:A look at 3 year olds in the mountains 9 years 9 months ago #29561

I'm dying to know what is down under there.
Attachments:

Re:A look at 3 year olds in the mountains 9 years 9 months ago #29562

I did find one that was ripe.

The icing on the cake was a nice 4 point buck that jumped up right in front of us as we walked into the woods.

Hugh
Attachments:

Re:A look at 3 year olds in the mountains 9 years 9 months ago #29563

Hugh

You have everyone in suspense now and me feeling a little guilty about digging up my babies.
But I'm putting in 12 lbs. of seed this year and I just have to know what I'm dealing with.
These are tough little plants and probably survived thousands of years without humans screwing them up too badly. If your intentions are good the plant will thank you for the help. Dig and see , I say.

RPD

PS. native seeds just turning in Western NY
Attachments:

Re:A look at 3 year olds in the mountains 9 years 9 months ago #29564

Hugh, those plants are looking great. I don't think it would hurt the root if you dug one up and planted it back.

Re:A look at 3 year olds in the mountains 9 years 8 months ago #29575

Hugh, good looking threes. I would have to take a peek if it was me lol

Hillhopper

Re:A look at 3 year olds in the mountains 9 years 8 months ago #29576

Guys,
Thanks for taking a look and your comments. I'll get there, I'm just a little slow at it. Maybe just before they go down.

rpdgrump, Good luck with your new plantings this Fall. I've got more going in the ground myself. I'm going to see if I can get Hillhopper to come up and help plant them.:lol:

Hugh

Re:A look at 3 year olds in the mountains 9 years 8 months ago #29582

Dig just 1 up Hugh so we can all take a peek. ;)

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds

Who's Online

We have 278 guests and no members online

Login