2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng
  • Page:

TOPIC: Recommended means to obtain permission to farm ginseng on neighboring land

Recommended means to obtain permission to farm ginseng on neighboring land 13 years 3 months ago #8593

Hi guys, I recently purchased a home that is surrounded by over 2000 acres of untouched land. The worst part is that my property does not have any suitable places to grow sang, but my neighbors definitely do. I have attached the letter I came up with to mail to the owner to receive permission; he actually lives in Louisiana! Let me know what ya'll think and if you have any suggestions. Also, if you have had any luck in the past, what route did you take?

Thanks, Zach

Attachment example.doc not found

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Recommended means to obtain permission to farm ginseng on neighboring land 13 years 3 months ago #8597

hunz

I believe your letter is too detailed and too long, and may make the land owner feel that your growing seng on their land is too complicated.

I have 30 acres ajoining land that is good seng land, owned by a person that lives in Alaska. I searched to find their phone number, and made a call to them personaly. The phone call was very short and I only had to insure them that it would not ruin their land in any way. They were very easy in giving me permission to grow seng for 15 years. Then they sent me written permision.

I think your best bet, without overwelming the land owner with alot of details that they really may not need or want to know, is to give them a call and tell them what you plan to do, then ask for permission and answer any questions they have. I think the landowner will feel more comfortable with talking to you on the phone, compared to looking at a letter from someone he's never met..

I think that letter could scare them off.

classicfur

Re:Recommended means to obtain permission to farm ginseng on neighboring land 13 years 3 months ago #8598

Hunz,
Nice letter and I agree with Classicfur. Talking to them is your best bet. If they give you verbal permission you could add a place on you letter for them to sign and date and for you to sign which will give you written permission. You can then keep this letter on file for your protection and theirs. This will also prove that this is wild simulated ginseng verses wild ginseng if it ever becomes illegal for digging wild ginseng in your state. I have a ginseng agreement posted under \"Growing Ginseng\" called ginseng agreement if you ever want to use it or modify it feel free to use it.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Recommended means to obtain permission to farm ginseng on neighboring land 13 years 3 months ago #8599

Hunz, just curious, were you planning to give the landowners a cut of the profit? If so, how much?

Re:Recommended means to obtain permission to farm ginseng on neighboring land 13 years 3 months ago #8600

Thanks fellas,
The more I look at the letter after ya'lls input I can't believe I didn't notice all of the unnecessary information before....I guess that's what having friends on this forum is all about though. I believe I found his number, and will be making the call later today. Latt, thanks for letting me know about the form you uploaded; I'll be using it.

I have tossed the idea around about offering the owner a cut, but in the end I decided against it. He has owned the 2,171 acres of land for over 45 years from what the county deeds say, I don't believe he would be all that concerned about making a few grand off of me. He owns the land outright, and recently put it into conservancy as well. My guess is he isn't concerned with money all that much, but what do you think is the proper move?

Re:Recommended means to obtain permission to farm ginseng on neighboring land 13 years 3 months ago #8601

Hunz,
When I ask for permission to grow ginseng or to mushroom hunt on someones land I do this. I tell them that I am into plant conservation and I practice good stewardship while I am in the woods. I tell them that I take an extra bag with me and I pick up trash as I proceed through their woods and that I will leave the woods in better shape than when I entered it. I also offer to kindly ask anyone else on their land if they have permission to be in their woods. If they do not I ask them to leave on behalf of the property owner.

So in essence you are getting permission to enjoy their land and they are receiving something back by having you to watch out for their land.

It has worked for me so far. Last year I was 5 for 6 and the only reason the 1 said no was his buddy hunts morel mushrooms on his land already. After Morel Season I went back and he let me hunt Summer and Fall mushrooms on his land.

Good luck!
Latt

Re:Recommended means to obtain permission to farm ginseng on neighboring land 13 years 3 months ago #8602

Hunz, I agree with you that given the circumstances the landowner probably wouldn't care much about a cut of the profit. I'd actually bet you'd have a better chance getting permission without offering that.

Re:Recommended means to obtain permission to farm ginseng on neighboring land 13 years 3 months ago #8605

Vafiddler,
Agreed! Sometimes a low key approach is best especially when the land owner lives far away from their property and they have massive amounts of land. Offering to give them part of the profit may only scare them and get them to thinking you are running a major operation in their woods.

A low pressure sales pitch is best along with offering to monitor their land for them. Most good stewards of the woods truly care about the plants growing in the woods. If planting ginseng correctly the native woodland plants will not be effected. If the land owner feels comfortable with the person asking for permission, they will likely grant permission.

The important thing is to let them know how it will benefit them as well by you being in their woods. Let them know how much you appreciate nature. If you are sincere your chances are good.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Recommended means to obtain permission to farm ginseng on neighboring land 13 years 3 months ago #8609

Well Latt, I was able to get ahold of my neighbor yesterday evening after only one wrong number. The first number I called was actually his nephew, who actually gave me the owner's number which I thought was nice. The conversation went pretty smoothly, and I mentioned the ideas about cleaning up trash and monitoring the place, and I think that was what sold him on the idea. So a many thanks is due from me to Latt. I told him that I have a statement of permission for him to sign if he wouldn't mind, and he gave me his address and told me to send it on. All in all, I can't believe it went as well as it did. So woo hoo, I've got 2000 acres, and a whole lot of sang to plant!
Thanks guys, Zach

Re:Recommended means to obtain permission to farm ginseng on neighboring land 13 years 3 months ago #8610

hunz

Your Welcome.

Good luck growing!

classicfur

• Page:
Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds

Who's Online

We have 96 guests and no members online

Login