2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Signs of SPRING and more planting...

Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8727

Hey Guys,

I got in a good breakfast this morning and then got out planted 2 more nice beds of seng this morning.

Wanted to share a few pics with you that show that SPRING is coming.

I am sure some of you northern folks are still knee or ankle deep in snow but down here in TN some of those first/early signs of spring are coming on.

Take a look at the buds on my bradford pear tree.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8728

Also starting to see some starts of green peaking out in between the leaves on the forrest floor.

Here is a bit if maidenhair fern I noticed right beside one of the beds I was prepairing today... You can see the old dead top and the new stuff starting to come on out.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8729

And look here what I found (just under the leaves) when I raked back the leaves on one of my beds today.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8730

Now here is a few pics from my plantings this morning.

Bed 1 raked...

Attachments:

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8731

Bed 1 - at this point I had put down seed and fertilizer and had started raking the leaf compost and top soil back on...

Attachments:

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8732

Here is the next spot I planted just after I finished raking it...

It was a longer bed - did not measure but would say around 60 possibly 70 ft.

Attachments:

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8733

And here is what it looked like when I was finished...

It was a little cooler today (around 55 degrees) but great for being out and working in the woods.

I have about 100 seed left from my last order now and think I will visit one of my seng hunting spots here in a day or two and just plant them here and there...

Have a Great Day all !

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8734

TNhunter

Love those \"Almost like Spring\" photos.

You should be close to four # of seed planted?

Are you still marking your beds?

I was wondering with the different methods and seed suppliers, are you keeping a log book of all that info? Location, method, seed supplier for each bed planted?

Just curious how you keep track of all that.

Nice looking planting.

Thanks,

classicfur

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8737

Classicfur,

Yes I am still marking my beds.

I first mark them with the temporary wire/flags and then replace those with the short (grey pvc pipe stakes).

That last bed pictured - the longer one - I had already put the pvc pipe stakes in place and they are not easy to spot from a distance. If you look in the upper left side of the bed you can see one in that pic and there is one up close at the bottom of the bed. I am also using trees (lanes between trees) as markers at times.

I am also keeping a file folder to log all of my cost - seed purchased, gypsum, bonemeal, etc and recording notes on what seed source was planted in which beds.

Counting this last half pound I just planted that makes a total of 59 oz - around 3.7 lbs planted so far this fall/winter/spring and I'm not feeling done yet :-)

Hey I also got in some gardening today - I had already broke up a small early garden bed a couple weeks ago (about 24' long 3' wide) with my \"Johnny's 727 Broadfoark\" and this evening I finished that up by working it over agian, working in some bone meal, gypsum and blood meal and then raked it all down nicely.

I used my old seng digger blade to make 3 furrows about 8\" apart the length of the bed and planted leaf lettuce, snow peas and white onions.

Here is a pic of the little spot I worked up - it is off to the side of my main garden beds a bit. You can also see my compost piles and the broadfoark in the background.

It was a fine day here for getting out and getting some outdoor work done and I did my share today.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8739

TNhunter,

Your hard work is sure going to pay off for you one of these days. Hopefully, I can get to your level of seed planting in the next year or two.

It's funny you posted about signs of Spring showing in your area. I noticed yesterday that the maple trees around here are starting to bud a little bit. This is very unusual weather for this area. This past Wednesday was 66 degrees warmer than the week before. I may be mowing grass in a month or so!

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds

Who's Online

We have 1121 guests and no members online

Login