2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Signs of SPRING and more planting...

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8767

Classsicfur,
Sorry about that bud we posted at the same time. Didn't mean to jump over your post with mine. That's a lot of snow my friend!!!!
Latt

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8768

Hey Latt,

I love wild Asparagus. We would collect it every year in Wisconsin. I have not found any in Maine and do miss eating them.

The big thing to collect here in Maine is Fiddleheads in the spring time. They taste some what like asparagus but not as good. The fiddlehead is an Ostrich fern just before it unrolls.

www.visitmaine.com/attractions/culture_h...thering-fiddleheads/

nrs.fs.fed.us/sustaining_forests/conserv...p/plants/fiddlehead/

Thanks,
classicfur

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8769

Classicfur,
Yea we picked about 4 dozen Fiddleheads last spring at one time. We boiled them first for about 5 minutes then sauteed them in a frying pan. The reason I boiled them was because I know the Ostrich fern in the fern to collect Fiddleheads from and I was not 100% sure I was picking Fiddleheads from the Ostrich fern.

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8777

Latt, I enjoy seeing wildlife up close, especially when it's right outside my door. However, it sounds like the deer are getting close to be invasive at your place. I hope they don't get too destructive in your patches.

I haven't hunted in years, but I always chuckle a little when I talk to deer hunters that don't see any deer. They're thick around my place, and it looks like they are pretty heavy where you are too. I cut all the apple trees down on my place years ago, but I do have several persimmon trees. When those things start falling, the deer eat them like candy. I could probably take a deer every two hours until the persimmons were gone if I wanted to. Same thing with wild turkeys. Those turkeys over at my Dad's place come up and pick the corn out of the cow manure after he feeds them. I could hunt them with a pipe.

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8780

Jacquo,
I live in an county that is one of the largest producers of Corn and soy beans in Ohio. Typically the deer stay in the woods and feed in the corn fields at night etc. However, for some reason they have put the apple tree on their nightly route. They have never done this before. I do not know if their normal supply of food is low or different from any other year.
It is pretty interesting to see them this close to the house thou. They have really been going to town on those old frozen brown apples.
I bet once summer comes around they will be stuffed full of corn and my ginseng won't look all that great to them. At least that's what I hope I guess.
Latt

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 455 guests and no members online

Login