2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Signs of SPRING and more planting...

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8740

Hey guys, Spring is on it's way! My youngest boy, three weeks ago. Yep it's knee deep!
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8741

My daughter snow blowing in her PJ's two weeks ago. It was almost 40 degrees.
Attachments:

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8747

Classicfur, it would seem you need to be a wee bit further South in order to enjoy this Spring like weather.

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8757

Hey Guys,

Another sure sign spring is on the way.

I heard the first \"spring peepers\" yesterday - those little frogs that you hear around wet places, mud holes, bogs, etc...

Back when I was a trapper - that was always one of those sounds that let you know for sure that trapping was over for the year and spring was on it's way.

TNhunter

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8759

For the past week or so the deer have been visiting my apple tree in the back yard. The deer have been eating frozen apples well past their prime that are laying on the ground. They are also enjoying the fresh bark on the limbs that have fallen off the trees during the last ice and wind storm. They are even coming up to my deck and eating some apples that I piled up on top some dirt in a whiskey barrel planter.

I would love to feed them but they are walking back and forth across my ginseng beds that I have growing in the back yard in the shade. I do not want them to get used to associating my back yard with food. So hopefully they will not be visiting my ginseng anytime this coming season.

It's still great to see them so close to the house. We had 5 in the yard again tonight. One is fairly large.
Latt

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8760

Here's the pic.
Attachments:

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8761

In Maine they just started tapping Maple trees for syrup. That's a sign of warmer weather coming soon.

Hey Latt,

The deer started coming into our apple trees too. But most of the apples are buried under the snow. They have made a path down the gravel road, about 30' away from some of my seng.

Hopefully the deer won't damage your roots.

classicfur

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8764

Here's a couple pics of beds next to my house. My 12-15\" wood stake markers are not showing yet. I figure the snow is still about 20\" deep. I'm sure it will look better next month. classicfur
Attachments:

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8765

Another one.
Attachments:

Re:Signs of SPRING and more planting... 13 years 2 months ago #8766

Yea, they sure love those frozen apples.

I know I am off topic recently from Ginseng. However, I was wondering if any of you all look for wild Asparagus. I have about 4 different spots now that I harvest from each year. It is better than store bought. Some of the Asparagus spots produce large tender shoots and plenty of them.

I will tell you where to look. Look along fence rows for big lacy bushy looking fern type tops. Some are 4 foot wide and 6 foot tall or sometimes smaller. This time of the year the fern tops are brown but in late summer they are green. This is how I locate new spots and you can find them while driving slowly down old back roads and they are growing in the fence line. Birds sit on the fence and pass the wild Asparagus seeds and Asparagus eventually grows in spots where this happens.

I guess you have to like Asparagus to look for it. I really like it on the grill with some olive oil and salt and pepper. Goes great with a steak and baked potato.
Latt

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds

Who's Online

We have 1364 guests and no members online

Login