2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Post with plantings NOT doing as expected?

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 4 weeks ago #9397

Classicfur,

Yep you will probably be near the last one to see them come up and I expect one of the first ones to see them go in the fall too.

Guy may have a shorter season than you.

It is interesting that the ginseng plant can do well in your area and mine - they are quite different. I bet my plants have at least 2 months longer growing season than yours. But now my plants do have to suffer thru some extreme heat and dry spells where yours has much less of that.

I have seen some wild seng up here the past 3-4 days while hunting turkey and shrooms. Just a few little 2 prongs here and there so it is definately coming up now.

My seed bed is looking good now too - almost all of them up or breaking thru now.

I will have to get out there and take another pic soon and share it here on the board. Next sunny day we have I will try to do that.

PS - on my new plantings - the beds that are up the thickest now are from seed I bought from hardwoodginseng (the cheaper seeds I purchased) = the beds that are still sort of thin (but hopefully will come on up later) is the more expensive seed from wildgrown and hardings.

TNhunter

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 4 weeks ago #9398

TNhunter

Yes, it is amazing that the root can grow in two complete different climates.

Here is an interesting thing I read from Kim Pritts Ginseng book:

\"Plants in the southern range will sprout earlier and die down later than plants in the northern range because of the greater number of frost free days in the south. There is little correlation, however, between the number of frost-free days and the actual growth of the ginseng root. Roots grow best in cool soil, and the long, hot summer days of the south actually inhibit root growth. The cooler weather of the northern states allows the ginseng root to maintain slow but steady growth right through the summer. Roots from southern states tend to grow rapidly for a few weeks in the spring and then level off throughout the warmer months with little appreciable weight gain. Northern and southern roots both show a growth spurt after the berries ripen.\"

I guess the shorter growth season in the north is made up by the cooler weather and soil. Plus we get about an hour and a half, more daylight hours in the summer time than the south.

Look forward to your seed bed pics.

classicfur

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 4 weeks ago #9400

I was in georgia over the weekend and it was amazing. When I left central ohio there were no leaves on the tree's by the time I got to TN it looked like july. I know usualy I have dish reception issues once the NBA playoffs start from leaves on the tree's. this year there is nothing on the tree's.
I just planted two weeks ago so there is nothing going on at my beds

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 4 weeks ago #9403

I went out to my seed bed this morning and took a couple of pics.

Some of those plants that were up first have sort of filled out the leaves now, but others are still small and all wrinkled up and still expanding. A few are just poking up thru the leaves while others have been up quite a while now.

Hope I get a few good berries off these this year.

Here is what they looked like the morning of 4/19/2011.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 4 weeks ago #9404

One more pic... up a little closer...

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 4 weeks ago #9405

TNhunter

That's a bunch of beautiful plants!

How many did you plant in there?

It sure is a unique bed, and will be for years to come!

Thanks for sharing.

classicfur

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 4 weeks ago #9406

TN,
Ditto on what Classicfur said.
What a beautiful sight to behold. Such a simple design in nature, but a majestic plant all in one. Just seeing your ginseng pics is soothing and brings me a certain degree of calmness. I am sure many will agree.
I look forward to seeing more of your ginseng pics and I can't wait to see some of my own plants soon.
I think your drip hose is going to work out real well when it gets really dry there this summer.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 4 weeks ago #9410

Hey Guys,

The last 3-4 hunts I went on last fall I kept the nicer 3 and 4 prongs and put them in that bed.

I put 39 total roots in there that I harvested.

I got those 39 roots from 3 different areas, some as much as 15-20 miles apart. That should help with genetic diversification.

I also got 5 real nice roots from Billy and put them in there.

I put his big mountain roots spaced out right down the middle of the bed so they will mix well with my local roots.

44 total roots.

Last time I looked real close it looked like all but 1 or 2 were either up or poking thru the leaves.

I can't wait until they all get up and filled out.

I can see those tops from Billy's roots and most of them just started up a few days ago and none have filled out yet.

I wonder how much different his tops will look from my local seng. One thing I have noticed in his pics is that the berry stem on his plant are much longer than what I find around here.

TNhunter

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 4 weeks ago #9411

For you guys that may not have seen it - here is a link to the youtube vid that Billy did when collecting some of those big mountain seng roots for me.

That Billy and his friends - they sure did a nice thing for me there and I appreciate it very much !

TNhunter

www.youtube.com/user/GinsengHunter1?feat...lk#p/u/4/f7B03U8MkSE

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 3 weeks ago #9422

Jeep posting stuff like this! It's an inspiration!

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 439 guests and no members online

Login