2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Post with plantings NOT doing as expected?

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 3 weeks ago #9441

TNhunter,

Those plants in your seed bed sure are beautiful. I hope you post a picture when all your plants are up and going all out.

I wanted to let you know my stratified seeds were exactly like yours. The seeds I got from Hardwoodsginseng were the first ones up, and right now, they are the ones that are doing the best. The more expensive seeds I bought from Wildgrown and other places are just now starting to come up, and the beds aren't nearly as \"full\" as the Hardwoods.

I was so impressed by those Hardwood seeds that I emailed the guy and asked if he's taking any kind of preorders. I even offered to put down half as a deposit. He replied that he is in a partnership with a guy that actually stratifies the seeds and he can't commit to anything until his partner gives him the go ahead. He said around the first of August is when he will probably start taking orders.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 3 weeks ago #9481

My seeding this year did not do well - it looks like I got 5 pounds of less than stratified seeds last fall. Not smiling, no cracks anywhere, but by the time they arrived, everyone was sold out by that point, so in the ground they went. Seeing about 10-15% germination, maybe, even the hundred or so I potted in planters have done poorly, five have come up so far. Got 100% germination in planters last year. Bedded about 1.5 pounds of seeds, have seen maybe 300 germinate so far. Still seeing new arrivals popping up, so it's not a complete bust.

OTOH, the last minute purchase of 10 pounds of 2YO roots has done great, so that somewhat makes up for it.

Already looking around for seeds next fall. Think I'll try multiple suppliers this time - another lesson learned.

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 3 weeks ago #9496

Are you planting on higher elevations, like mine? If you are in a northern state... and it's not really warm yet... perhaps things will get better. good Luck!

My plantings are just now coming up, as of last week, really. Please see my post above to K_Duce. I'm hoping that yours are like mine, just a bit late.

I agree that getting seeds from multiple sources is best, and I will continue to do that. I think I'll concentrate on getting wild or wild-sim seeds tho.

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds

Who's Online

We have 343 guests and no members online

Login