2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: Post with plantings NOT doing as expected?

Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 1 month ago #9340

Just wondering about the sdtatements that some have made as to seeds \"skipping a year\" and coming up a year later. I've heard from at least three growers that have had this experience. Your thoughts?

BTW, that small patch I put in behind my house has not yet shown anything above ground. I don't want to disturb the bed for risking killing some....

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 1 month ago #9341

Whitjr

My plantings of seeds have always had at least 75% emerge the first year. But, I usually have a few more emerge the second spring.

I believe that seeds properly stratified will produce a majority emerging in the first spring.

If the majority do not emerge the first spring, they will have a difficult time making it untill the second spring. They have the possibility of drying out, decaying from disease and rodents eating the seeds.

I hope yours start coming up soon.

classicfur

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 1 month ago #9342

Whitjr

One year I did have one bed that did'nt come up, due to pre emergent Damping Off disease.

That same bed I replanted last fall and sprayed the bed with Trichoderma Plant Helper just last week. Of the seeds that I checked under the mulch, it looks like they are germinating well. The little roots are sticking out about 1/4-1/2\". So far it looks like a success.

But the slugs are starting to emerge and they are a threat.

classicfur

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 1 month ago #9344

I guess I was just wondering... about similar expereinces...

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 1 month ago #9345

Sorry! Iwas posting like the title of the post said.

Post with plantings NOT doing as expected?

classicfur

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 1 month ago #9346

Whitjr,

I checked some of my beds last weekend when looking for shrooms and there are some 3 leafers up in all of them but they are not up thick yet (not near as thick as I planted the seeds).

In fact only a small fraction are up.

Some of them were up last week or two of March and I would sort of expect a lot more to be up now but they are not.

I am hoping it is just that those were early birds and the rest will come up soon.

I also checked some spots where I know wild seng is and none of those tops are up yet either.

I am going to try and get in some more shroom hunting this weekend and if so will check on my seng beds again.

Hope to see lots of green there soon. So far only a small fraction of what I planted are up.

TNhunter

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 1 month ago #9348

We are leaving in acouple of hours to go and check things.... My hopes are UP!

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 1 month ago #9351

Got in the woods this morning before daylight - got on a nice Gobbler but he had 6 hens with him and just would not cooperate. I got em up within about 70 yards (had a nice long beard) but those dang hens just would not let him come on over (for dinner with me) :-)

Oh well I got to watch him strut and follow those hens for about an hour - what a sight.

Still have lots of season left and I can see him on my dinner plate now - with a big pile of fried up morels - now that would be nice.

I spent about 3 hours hunting and looked for morels around every dead tree I found, but no luck on them at all.

I did not make it up the hollow far enough to check that spot I found that little one in the otherday but will try to do that later today, or this evening.

I did swing by some of my new seng beds and found some of them looking real good - looked like about every seed came up, green 3 leafers everywhere.

Then other beds (on down the hollow) had just a very few up.

That seems odd to me but hope those are just going to come up a bit later.

I checked a couple spots where there is some wild seng and no sign of it up yet.

Saw lots of may apple, maidenharifern, trillium but I tell you that old tom turkey in full strutt showing off for the hens was sure a sight to see.

TNhunter

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 1 month ago #9352

My seeds are doing well. My beds are like TNhunter's. Only a small portion are up so far. The plantings I am watching are the rootlets I planted right around the time I planted my seed. I haven't seen anything in those beds so far. I'm not too concerned yet though. Like TNhunter, I also checked a couple of areas where wild seng grows, and nothing was up yet. Those rootlets may be more like wild seng than stratified seeds and come up a little later.

Re:Post with plantings NOT doing as expected? 13 years 4 weeks ago #9396

TNhunter, Jacquo

Good to hear your seedlings are starting to emerge. It's amazing that there is so much varience of time in the emergence of seedlings. I can understand different times of emergence from different seed sources. I would have thought that southern temps in the upper 70's and low 80's would cause every thing to just jump out of the ground. But like you mentioned the wild seng has not come up yet, it's like the roots emerge, working from an internal clock, not just temp. Although I did hear K_duce mention that most of his plants were up and growing, some where in TN.

But then again, I find that in Maine, the seedlings on south and southwest slopes usually emerge before the seedlings on the southeast slopes. The soil temps seem to be a little warmer on the south and southwest slopes, which must trigger quicker germination. So up here I think the warmth of the soil has someting to do with the time of emergence.

Our day time temps have been in the low 50's. That's normal for this time of the year. So the bulk of my plants coming up will probably be after May 1st

A few seedlings will emerge, then within 2-3 week the majority will be up. Then for the next 3-4 weeks a few more will emerge.

It seems like like it takes forever. And I will be the last one with plants emerging.:(

classicfur

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds

Who's Online

We have 413 guests and no members online

Login