2024 Summer/Fall Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Pre-orders accepted for pre-set shipping dates
* Ginseng Rootlets: Pre-orders accepted for fall shipment in October
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: differences in seeds?

differences in seeds? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9625

The last couple of years, I have been buying seed from a couple different sources in WV, but this spring a bought an ounce from Hardings just to see how spring planting would work. Planted the first week of March in KY. When I checked the seedlings, Hardings looks greener than the other seedlings. I've never seen this before. Has anyone else seen this? Had great germination from the Harding seeds by the way.

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:differences in seeds? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9628

mhowa

The green color in plants is controlled by the chlorophyll in the leaves and the amount of sunlight the leaves receive.

In shade loving plants. If they receive too little or too much sun, it can cause the leaves to be pale or light green color.

Over the seven year of growing seng. I have noticed that some years the seedlings are more pale in color than other years. But in the long run they all look the same as they mature through the season.

classicfur

Re:differences in seeds? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9635

Some of my rootlets that are up, are paler that most of the other rootlets I planted. I think it's due to less sunlight, as ClassicFur said above, however am not real sure why the differences. All rootlets were from same supplier and looked great when planted.

Re:differences in seeds? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9639

mhowa,

When you ordered from Hardings - did you call and talk to Larry and specifically ask for his \"wild strain\" seed ?

If not - what he sent you was shade grown cultivated seed.

I did talk to Larry and asked for the wild strain and planted a 1/2 pound of it and I got very low germination (less than 1%) and the other seeds are still there - just not germinating this year. Hope they do next year.

The seeds I planted from other sources did excellent, very high germination rate.

Just wondering if you got his wild strain seed, or the shade grown cultivated seed.

Thanks

TNhunter

Re:differences in seeds? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9640

No, I didn't talk to Larry, so I assume I got the shade grown. It shouldn't make a big difference should it?

Re:differences in seeds? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9641

TNHunter--

I got a pound from Larry, +rootlets. When I did my germination test at home, I got a 60% success rate. Like you, I asked for the wild stuff.

The last 6 bedes I put in were Larry's seeds. Last weekend, there were about 50 plants up, however am hopeing that there are 'way more when I'm up there next. I think that the 50 I saw were just the start, as these were planted heavily, perhaps too heavily, anyway, these hadn't been in the ground but since the middle of March. His seeds/rootlets were the last that I put in.

I'd be interested in your results say two weeks from now. I think tht the next two weeks will tell the tale on my beds....

Re:differences in seeds? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9642

mhowa,
I would say if you had \"great germination\" you are good to go regardless. My thoughts have changed completely in the last year or so when it comes to the origin of seed. This is due to experience and results of my plantings as well as what others are experiencing on this forum that plant ginseng. There are many post on here pertaining to \"Wild Simulated\" seed verses \"Shade Grown Field Cultivated\" seed. Check them out when you get a chance.
Good luck.
Latt

Re:differences in seeds? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9643

You ain't kiddin! I have always been concerned with bringing in disease from shade grown plantings but Im to the point that I don't give a damn where they come from as long as they come up!

Hillhopper

Re:differences in seeds? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9648

Hillhopper,
What did you decide to do on your goldenseal?
Latt

Re:differences in seeds? 13 years 2 weeks ago #9649

Hillhopper, Latt

Your right! The most important thing about the seeds we buy, is that they do emerge. And emerge in the first spring after after planting. And second, that they are disease free seeds.

I suppose their alot of seeds from shade grown sources that are diseased. But I have not found disease to be a problem from the Shade Grown seeds I've purchased over the past seven years. But then again I've been treating my seeds with Bacillus subtilis GB03 as recommended by Paul Hsu. I know Paul uses the same treatment for his seeds. All I know is that his seeds plus the GB03 has given me healthy plants that are disease free.

It sounds like there are alot of seeds being sold that are not germinating as they should. Because of improper stratification or disease problems or what ever.

But there are good seeds out there. I have heard that you should purchase your seeds early. Since most people that are selling seeds, also use those seeds to grow their own seng. They are going to use the best seeds for them selves and second to the early orders. Late orders are getting the \"bottom of the Barrel\" or leftovers.

Alot to consider.

classicfur

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds

Who's Online

We have 642 guests and no members online

Login