2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: This years seed arriving; let's see some samples!

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14005

Classicfur and otehrs...

I was not going to mention my seed supplier (on this batch) mostly because I do not want him to run out of seeds quick (I would like to buy more later in the year), but since Classicfur already let the cat out of the bag :-) I will go ahead and put a good word in for Mike over at Hardwood Ginseng and his seed.

I know a lot of you guys are getting in seed that looks bad and if I was in your shoes I would sure be looking for a good source for good seed.

I have been really impressed with this 2 lbs of seed ordered from Mike at Hardwood Ginseng.

I got it out this morning and float tested, treated, and checked out a few more seeds (inside).

Here is a pic of it when I had it in a 1 gal zip lock bag (temporary storage).

Some good looking seed for sure.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14006

Here is a bit closer pic of when I had them in a bowl, treating, float testing.

Mike does a light clorox treatment, and last year I did not know that at first and treated some of his seed (he had already treated with light treatment of clorox) and I treated them agian in 10% clorox solution, and I had excellent germination on them - even though double treated and a very high percent were cracked and smiling (like this bunch is).

This morning I used a 5% clorox treatment.

Here is what they looked like - notice almost all are sunk under the bleach solution with just a few floating.

Also notice the very high percentage that are cracked open and you can see the little white seed/embryo peaking out.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14007

When I float test, after about 7-8 minutes I will take a big spoon and scoop off the ones that are still floating and put them in a smaller bowl so they can continue to float longer.

At 10 minutes I have all of the sinkers and put them in a strainer and rinse them off good.

I end up with a small bowl that still has the floaters left in it.

I will let them float a little longer, and at 15 minutes several more of those will sink, and I pick them out, rinse them and put them in the good pile.

This pic below was at about the 12 minute mark.

There were just over 50 seeds still floating at that point.

Thats 50 out of approx 14,000-15,000 seeds (he sent me a bit more than 2 pounds).

At the 15 minute mark 3-4 more of those had sunk and I rinsed them off and put them in the good pile.

Tossed the few that remained.

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14008

After I had rinsed the sinkers off good I spread them out on a towell and let them air dry for about 20 minutes, and I rubbed them down with a towell to get off excess water.

Got them to the point that they would not stick to each other, and then bagged the up.

I put 8.1 or 8.2 oz in each of 4 bags, and had a few oz left over that I put in a smaller bag (going to let my 9 year old son plant that small bag today).

Then I stashed them back in the fridge for now.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14009

I also looked thru the seeds and hand selected 5 seeds that were still closed up tight (not split and smiling like most were) but closed up tight.

I split 5 of those open and checked inside.

Here is what they looked like when split.

TNhunter

Attachments:

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14010

I put the green food coloring to them and below is another pic showing them after that.

As you can see, even the seeds that are still closed up tight have decent embryo in them.

Some of those were 2.5 mm, most around 2 mm, and one was smaller than that around 1 to 1.5 mm.

I am very happy with the results - now have to get some breakfast down and head to the woods :-)

You guys have a great Saturday !

TNhunter
Attachments:

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14011

TNhunter

Sorry! Me and My Big Mouth!

Those are good looking seeds!

You could probably Reserve and prepay for some seeds to be shipped later in the season. I'm sure he would save them for you. Just a thought.

Have fun planting today and this week.

classicfur

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14017

Guys and gals, I don't want to sound like a commercial here. But, if anyone still needs seed, get in touch. I am sold out, but just got word a day or so ago that I can get another fifty pounds or so which tested at 94%. I don't want to buy it unless I know its sold this late in the year. So, if you all want in on this, get in touch.

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14025

Classicfur,

No problem bud - and yes I know Mike will do that - already discussed that with him.

He sent me another email today and said he always trys to hold onto at least 40 lbs of seed for selling in spring.

Last year after Christmas I tried seed from other sources and just did not have much luck with it. I may try some small batches of Mikes seed this year late winter and see how it does.

Late winter our ground here is perfect for planting (especially after a snow and thaw).

PS - I got out in the woods this morning and got a little of 1/2 pound of that seed planted today. I used a sharpshooter shovel with pvc pipe attached for dropping the seed.

I was planting some very steep places - too steep for rake and scatter. They are excellent seng growing locations though - have nice wild seng growing on them already.

I am going to post a few pics of that on that other thread (discussing standing up single seed planter type options).

TNhunter

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14181

TNhunter

I thought I liked the colouring idea untill looking at the post above of uncoloured seed vs the same seed coloured. You can clearly see the yellowish colour of the embryo in the bottom seed on the right hand side of the uncoloured seed, the far right slice of that seed shows the real size of the embryo at 3/4 at least. The two tops ones are at least half the size of the seed. Top left is easy to see over half the size. But when you compare the coloured version the embryos look small.
The embryo, top right is the one that was bottom right in the un coloured shot and the right half shows a very small embryo, guess it's the white part being coloured so we can't see thru the transluscent white bean.
Explaination: the embryo is not perfectly in the centre of the seed , it's root starts on one side and curves over to the other side and the plant and leaves curve to a C shape.
So you can cut down the centre and see only a section of the small root, not the entire plant.
There are no leaves visible in the top right hand seed on the coloured shot. But the uncoloured showed a yellowish plant and leaves just below the surface of the bean.
I have to slice thru the half to find the best growth representation, slicing off paper thin slices till you see the hole embryo. Sometimes it is easy but usually it will take a few thin slices off.

hope this helps explain abit about the seed

Mid October we will be planting our usual 3-4 pounds

guy

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds

Who's Online

We have 651 guests and no members online

Login