2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: This years seed arriving; let's see some samples!

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14182

Classicfur

- I have never mentioned any embryo \"size of 4mm - 5mm\" as you say,I merely showed a picture of what my smiling:) seeds looked like out of the sratification box that year. The point of this message was to show people that had had germination problems that year what to look for in their seeds, not to be asked if, I would accept returned seed with small embryos 3-4 mm in size. I felt this was a smite of some type, others have brought this to my attention with the same thought.
We have seen embryos of this size posted by others, so it is not unusaul and there is know reason to suggest my picture was missleading or seed from the spring.You then send a picture of a germinated seed inked black and try to compare it to my pictures.

I think an appaulogy is required.

We at BSM ginseng offer the best available hand picked wild simulated seed and roots I have seen. Know chemicals are used in any aspect of the business.

guy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14193

Guy

Your right! I made a statement about your seeds and business that I should not of been made.

Forgive me.

Sincerely,

classicfur

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14199

Guy,

Question for you about your seed.

I noticed on the order form on your website you said on roots that you only ship to Canada but on Seeds it did not mention that. Sounds like you may be able to ship seeds outside of Canada.

If you can ship seeds to the US, what is the most southern state you ever sold to and heard back from them how the seeds did ?

I just wonder how your far north seeds would do down here in the State of TN.

Thanks

TNhunter

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14240

TNhunter
We are not allowed to ship out of Ontario, according to SARA or COSEWIC or CITIES can't recall what one, off the top of my mellon right now, it's slow tonight. We have had alot to do with trying to have logical ruling applied but dispite everyone involved understanding the retardedness of the rules they allow some provincially appointed wanker with a college degree he got at age eight and endured years of being beaten up by the other kids, over rule them if he FEELS like it. With no good flippin reason, except that he can, and then in the next provincial election if a new party wins some new pimple is appointed the position of doing nothing the same as all the other wankers. It is because they are afraid to stand up on their own two feet and do the job of the provincial scientific expert ethically. If someone in politics is seen doing their job then immediatly the others jump on them so that everyone can do nothing till they get voted out and then get full pensions.

It is hard to get feedback,I think we sold to someone in TN once and they reported maybe 25%,but told me all their mulch blew off during the winter and maybe they should not have broadcast the seeds on top of this hill.I think as long as the ground freezes during winter and our seed is half an inch to one inch under the soil then you will get 80% with some more the next season.

People that have issues with their seeds should first make sure they did thing correct if they are new at it. Plant at least a half inch deep in soil, then add afew inches of mulch for tempature and moisture control.
Second dig around where you planted and find some seeds, check them out, is the root there, is the seed empty, is the seed still white inside or are they gone.
Often we have seen the seed come up in mid. June and be eaten by deer, turkey, rabbits grouse and the list goes on. It's flippin spring every animal is hungry.If you dig around you will see the root still there and next year most of them will be back. Seed shells that are all crunched, got eaten by rodents or birds, chipmunks love the stuff.
Investigate, it's the only way to be certain of the problems we encounter as farmers.

My concern for that far down south would be them drying out so good mulching would be needed.

guy

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14242

Received my order of seeds from Hardwood ginseng. They looked good with embryo's sizes mostly 2.5 to 3.5mm long, One was about 4.25mm and one was 1.5mm.

Overall they had good embryo size.

To take pics, I took out my \"TNhunter Seed Coloring Kit\"(available at most grocery stores).

I diluted the food coloring of the green ones and colored one with red(full strength).

The colored pics came out ok, but I think the photo of the ones without color came out better.

Here's some pics showing splitting the seed with a scalpel blade.
Attachments:

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14243

Scalpel cutting seed open.
Attachments:

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14244

Coloring seeds. The uncolored ones showed embryo's pretty well.
Attachments:

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14245

Colored seeds.
Attachments:

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14246

We had a steady light rain for the last four days. So the soil is moist and just right for planting these seeds. I will get out and plant today and tomorrow. Then we will wait until spring for the results.

I've been getting close to 80% germination with seeds from Hsu over the last several years. And I would expect to get a good germination fron these seeds from Hardwood Ginseng. The embryo's looked good! Nice looking seeds!

classicfur

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14249

Guy,

I did notice what you said about some of the embryo looking larger before coloring. The coloring makes them stand out more, but on those last couple of pics I posted the before coloring version came out nicely and you could see the embryo's well in them.

Good to show both before and after coloring results.

Classicfur - The sun is just up over the trees here in Middle TN, another absolutely bueatiful fall morning and I am heading out to plant more today.

Hope to get at least another half pound planted.

We have not had any rain in about a week and half now and the ground is a little dry and hard.

I am starting to like planting with that sharpshooter shovel with pvc pipe for seed delivery. I have used it twice now and what I really like about it is I can plant the seeds on average around 1\" deep under (soil) and get leaves back on top, and pressed down and there is very little disturbance of the natural forest floor layers.

I really just slice a (slot type hole) thru the leaves, mulch, dirt, drop the seeds in, then press all of that back down on top of the seeds.

The planting is as good, possibly better than Hankins Method - but without all of that raking off of leaves and back on (which can no doubt stir up fungal issues).

After we get a good rain I may do more double rake and scatter but until then I am going to stick with the sharpshooter shovel. The more I use it the more I like it and the faster and better I get with it.

TNhunter

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds

Who's Online

We have 227 guests and no members online

Login