2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Post your experiences, questions and answers about growing wild-simulated ginseng

TOPIC: This years seed arriving; let's see some samples!

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14524

I split open several more seeds from my batch from Scott Persons, and am more convinced now that the embryo's are typically 2 mm. I tried food coloring but that didn't improve the pictures for me, so I won't bother posting more. For reference, I float tested the whole 5 lb batch and 2 oz floated (2.5%). I'd say there's another ounce or two of sand in the bag as well but of course that doesn't float. Anyway, we'll see what happens. Planted about 2 lbs weekend before last and will try to get in another 2 lbs this weekend. We don't have a lot of leaf fall yet in Virginia, at least where I am, so I'm a little worried about having enough cover. Fortunately, its been cool and not too dry. Next year I'll probably wait longer.

This is the first year I actually weighed out seeds instead of just trying to guess a seeding rate of 4 per sq ft. And boy am I glad I did. I'm now sure that I greatly under seeded last year, probably 2.5-3 per sq ft. The more successful plots had about 1 per sq ft that survived through the end of July so probably had survival rate of 30-40%. Not that impressive, but significantly better than I had before. From now on will be doing the detailed inventory that some of you recommend in the spring to measure germination and again in late summer to measure survival.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14557

Hey guys finally got internet back. But it has been some time since i have been on here regular.

Anyways great post guys very interesting. Also guys i should be receiving my seeds any day now and i will post some pics of them if i haven't forgot how to.

Anyways Vafiddler you can always do what i do and use straw on your beds. I know a lot of people don't suggest this due to grass coming up but it really hasn't been a problem for me. It works great annd that way i don't have to worry about mulch.

But anyways guys great to be back and i hope everyone is doing well.

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14644

Good suggestion Hillbilly on the straw. If I'd been thinking ahead of time, that would have been good. As it turned out, we had some real good rain and wind this week, and the seeds are now covered well. I got 2 more pounds planted today, and the leaves were plentiful. What a difference 2 weeks makes. I'll be more careful next year. By the way, I used TnHunter's rake suggestion and what a difference it made.

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14685

Hey fellas, There is one supplier out there that sends the seeds with a lot of sand on them. Last year I ordered my second 10 lbs from this particular supplier and they had sand on them. I washed the seed off and saved the sand. Long story short is I only had 9 lbs of seng seed and a couple lbs of wet sand. I called them and they promised to ship me a lb of seed this year to make up for it. I am not saying they did it on purpose but I bought 10 lbs of seed not 9 lbs. Just wanted to mention this. I have ordered seed from many seed suppliers and this is the only seed supplier that sends seed with coarse sand on them.
Latt

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14689

Yea, this supplier Latt speaks of owes me a good bit of money and if they don't settle up soon I won't mind letting everyone know who they are. The whole business of seed sales requires a certain amount of trust and I don't believe they are worthy of any.

Hillhopper

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14691

Much to my surprise I did finally receive my 1 lb of seed today when I got home today. Lost of sand on the seed and there were about a dozen black mushy rotten ones in the bag. I have not float tested them yet. This supplier is not one mentioned on the forum lately. I will check the seed better tomorrow. Just glad they made it right finally.
Hillhopper, I hope they make it right with you too.
Thanks,
Latt

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14871

I got my first 2 lbs planted and ordered another pound this week.

I have Thursday and Friday off next week and will be putting more seed in the ground.

Are most of you guys finished for the year or are any of you going to continue planting thru the winter (when possible), and on into Jan/Feb timeframe ?

I did not have much luck with my late plantings last year but I did not check any of that seed for embryo development either. I think it was just bad seed that produced the bad luck.

TNhunter

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14876

I still have a couple pounds to get in the ground. Every day off its been raining for the last couple weeks. >:

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14887

Finish planting the nearly five pounds of seeds on Oct 15.

I have had too much success with planting my seeds in the Fall to chance a winter or spring planting.

I feel that seeds should be planted in the fall time, so thay can finish their stratification in a natural way, in the soil where they will be growing.

I'm done planting until next fall. Our ground could start freezing very soon.

BCastle, It's been wet for over a month up here in Maine.

Good Luck!

classicfur

Re:This years seed arriving; let's see some samples! 12 years 6 months ago #14888

Fall planting the only way to go! I'm finished for the year.

Bad results on late or spring planting.

rootman

Moderators: lattTNhunterjimsanger
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds

Who's Online

We have 288 guests and no members online

Login