2024 Spring Planting:

* Ginseng Seed: Currently shipping everyday until sold out
* Ginseng Rootlets: Will be offered in Fall
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Follow Harvest Stewardship and always comply with your State Ginseng Rules and Regulations when collecting wild ginseng roots.

TOPIC: Many Tops & Plants That I Buy - This topic is educational

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 10 months ago #22907

• Billy
  • Billy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
  • Billy Taylor from Bell County Ky
Heartleaf - This root has so many uses that it is best just to tell you another name for the plant - Heal All Herb seriously it is used in many remidies and medicines.It is also a cousin to Wild Ginger.

Personal thoughts concerning this plant - It is easy to see the difference
between wild ginger and heart leaf all though they are close cousins.Ginger is
solid in color pattern as in the photo above this picture and Heart leaf is a
smaller leaf and has water melon type patterns and looks.The leaves vary in
darkness from place to place,but always have the same pattern.Be sure to Harvest
after the fruit has dispensed as this plant is to be harvested root,steam,and
leaf the entire plant is harvested.Most areas will be ready for harvest around
the 1st to middle August but not later than late August.This is a very good
little plant to harvest as it is usually plenty full when you find it,or it is no
where to be found at all.I have learned that either the plant is plentiful or
nearly not at all,but if you are fortunate to find it then a good digger can
earn about $65.00 to $80.00 a day after drying.

Billy.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 10 months ago #22909

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Queen of the Meadow - The plant contains salicylates, the herbal roots of aspirin. Queen of the Meadow lacks negative side effects such as gastric upset and bleeding that may occur with aspirin use. Modern herbalists use meadowsweet to treat rheumatism, joint pain and muscle aches. It effectively treats headaches and other body aches. The plant contains anti-inflammation properties that reduce swelling in joints and muscles. Reduction in swelling reduces pain and improves range of motion. Its diuretic properties may reduce gout.

Personal thoughts concerning this plant - Queen is very easy to recognise and it
is usually very plentiful where found.It pays good because the roots are large and
have good weight.A good digger can earn about $50.00 to $75.00 a day if selling
green ,but after drying can earn from $65.00 - $100.00 a day I like this root
because it reproduces very well and I can dig this one in the winter because the
stalk stands after winter comes in all through winter.You must learn to identify
by the stalk only and it is white in the winter,no green,but this is one more
that I only dig in the winter.Others dig it at this time and through the year.
Attachments:

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 10 months ago #22910

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Wild Hydrangea ( 7-Bark ) Diuretic, cathartic, tonic. The decoction is said to have been used with great advantage by the Cherokee Indians, and later, by the settlers, for calculous diseases. It does not cure stone in the bladder, but, as demonstrated to the medical profession by Dr. S. W. Butler, of Burlington, N.J., it removes gravelly deposits and relieves the pain consequent on their emission. As many as 120 calculi have been known to come from one person under its use.The fluid extract is principally used for earthy deposits, alkaline urine, chronic gleet, and mucous irritations of the bladder in aged persons. A concentrated syrup with sugar or honey, or a simple decoction of the root, may also be used. In overdoses, it will cause vertigo, oppressions of the chest, etc. The leaves are said by Dr. Eoff to be tonic, silagogue, cathartic and diuretic.

My personal thoughts concerning this plant - Another very good winter time plant.Once you learn this you can find it in the winter.It is another good one for weight as the roots cluster and grow in good size.They grow very well around logging and mineing roads on and around banks.A good digger can earn $60.00 to $80.00 a day after drying according to the size of the roots and the areas availability.It usaly grows thick.
Attachments:

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 10 months ago #22911

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Spignet root - The root is a mild relaxant, with stimulating and probably demulcent properties; somewhat prompt in its action; and expending its influence chiefly upon the mucous membranes, and somewhat upon the skin. It is particularly valued for its action upon the respiratory organs; to which it is a gentle expectorant, at the same time soothing irritation, allaying spasmodic cough, and imparting a feeling of tone. These effects give it a place of much value in recent and irritable cough, as in that following bronchial and pulmonary congestions, pleurisy, measles, etc. It is not suited to cases of depressed sensibilities and great feebleness, unless combined with more strengthening and stimulating agents. When placed in water in an open vessel upon a warm stove, it fills. the room with a mild aroma which is exceedingly grateful to irritable lungs. I often use it thus in phthisis, at intervals of three or four hours; or it may be used in an inhaling apparatus.

Personal thoughts concenring ths plant - This is another winter time harvest plant,as well as earlyer in the season.This one is easy to learn and the root is heavy.I have dug these roots myself that weighed up to 7 pounds per stalk.It is a good root to dig and learn.A good digger can earn $50.00 to $65.00 per day if sold green and $70.00 to $100.00 after drying.One of my favorites as I can spot it up to 50 feet away at times in the winter.
Attachments:

Re:Many Tops Plants & Bark That I Buy 10 years 10 months ago #22912

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
This brings this thread to a conclusion as I have posted the roots that I most often purchase.There are a few others that come and go and are not bought often enough for me to list,but these are all good ones that are most of the time on the market if you know the right dealer and you guys all know one and that is me,but even though I buy these always check each season with me for a list of what is on the market.Some that are here this season may not be the next season and vice versa,but I always buy many items.

Not many individual dealers buy as many items as I do,but many dealers buy some of these roots and herbs in your areas if you write down the names and inquire of them.These roots and herbs are not as ginseng and you do not have to certify them to sell them to an out of state dealer or to transfer them to another state as far as I know any where,but still check with your local Dep of Agg: if you are unsure and make sure as I would not mean to insinuate that I know everything about every states laws.

I listed many plants that can only be harvested when the season is in during growing times,but

If you noticed I added a few winter time roots that are easy to learn and find in the winter and I want to list them here again by name only for you.If you ever need extra income or just get bored and want to go to the mountains and do something these are the ones you need to learn.Also you never have to worry if you let the fruit replenish before you dig as you well know that all the fruits have falling before winter.I myself like this fact very well.So here is the list of easy to learn and spot winter plants.I have not kept winter photos,but during winter I will take a few and add the dead stem photos if any one wants to learn them.

star grub (false unicorn)- evergreen that has a purplish tent during winter (no unicorn stem in winter)

wild yam - dead vine with a wrap tip that's well-known to cling to stuff loves rocky and near dry areas

black cohosh - long spike sticks up

Queen of the meadow - hollow white tall stalks

7-Bark (Hydrangea) tree like branches with dead flower tops that are greyish white

Spignet - A good-sized stalk with crooks in it as it moves up dark in color and remains rounder than most dead stalks

I really like all of these you never have to worry about the fruits as they are well passed at winter time :)

Feel free to ask or inquire about any of the roots that I have listed

Taylors Roots & Herbs 202 Longwood rd Middlesboro Ky:

Hope you have enjoyed the thread

Best to everyone

Billy.

Re:Many Tops & Plants That I Buy - This topic is educational 10 years 10 months ago #22943

Billy,

I wanted to take the time to thank you for taking time out of your day to post the great information and pics on the Herb Plants that you purchase! This is very beneficial to me as I spent so many years away from the mountains while in the Military and at my' job and forgot so many of the plants that I used to know. You know, I used to be able to walk through the woods and identify almost every tree by just looking at the bark but now, I have trouble identifying some by even looking at the bark and the leaves! Anyways, thanks again for the informative tour! I hope to bring you some Herb roots later this year and finally meet a great standup guy!

Frank

Re:Many Tops & Plants That I Buy - This topic is educational 10 years 10 months ago #22946

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
Frank you are welcome I to will look forward to meeting a great guy sure will.

huntsman53 wrote:

Billy,

I wanted to take the time to thank you for taking time out of your day to post the great information and pics on the Herb Plants that you purchase! This is very beneficial to me as I spent so many years away from the mountains while in the Military and at my' job and forgot so many of the plants that I used to know. You know, I used to be able to walk through the woods and identify almost every tree by just looking at the bark but now, I have trouble identifying some by even looking at the bark and the leaves! Anyways, thanks again for the informative tour! I hope to bring you some Herb roots later this year and finally meet a great standup guy!

Frank

Re:Many Tops & Plants That I Buy - This topic is educational 10 years 8 months ago #23461

• Billy
  • Dealer
  • Dealer
22 days away :)

Re:Many Tops & Plants That I Buy - This topic is educational 10 years 8 months ago #23463

Billy wrote:

22 days away :)

Yep, I can't wait! My plans to dig a lot of herbs to sell to you, has not worked out this year due to the weather, Flea Market selling and my' sister getting really ill then dying but I hope to at least dig some before they all die off. The new Ginseng Harvesting rules that just came down for the Cherokee National Forest, has really thrown a fly in the soup per see for my expectations of digging Ginseng. However, I guess I will roll with the flow and see what might turn up in the future. I am working on a deal to dig Ginseng on private properties, share the take when it is sold and to also plant seeds and rootlets and tend the Ginseng on these same properties. If this works out, I may have some fair amounts to sell this year but hopefully, I will have a lot more Ginseng to sell at some time in the future.

Take care, be safe and as always, it is nice to see you post here on the Wildgrown forums!

Frank

Re:Many Tops & Plants That I Buy - This topic is educational 10 years 8 months ago #23482

Billy, do you buy stoneroot?

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds

Who's Online

We have 513 guests and no members online

Login